Just jawing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
As of this morning we received approx 28" of snow with another 1-4" during the day, the BK is keeping things nice and toasty, when the storm started Sunday night is was 16 deg F out, spent most of the day yesterday in the low 20's and a steady 15mph wind with gusts to 30 out of the NE, temps slowly rose last night to its current mark of 28 outside and the winds kind of tapered down a little, the house maintained 70 deg F during the whole storm and I only loaded the stove 3 times yesterday, I finally turned the t-stat way up this morning to get rid of some large coals in the back of the stove, more or less its par for the course here, season 6 on the princess and I'm very happy with its performance, especially this year now that I have my draft more controlled.

A car like a Camry with a 40 gallon tank would be awesome. Mileage would decrease slightly to added weight, but a round trip down to see mom in S.Cal and drive halfway back on a tank...pretty amazing. That's why I have the King....that and I listen to a Fairbanks dude that said if I run it hotter, the wife would.....nevermind.

I can attest to how awesome it is to have a big tank on a high MPG vehicle. Had an 81 Caddy (Rabbit pickup) with a 26 gallon tank. I think my range was just shy of 1,250 miles. Filled up about once a month. Man I miss that old thing.

I can attest to how awesome it is to have a big tank on a high MPG vehicle. Had an 81 Caddy (Rabbit pickup) with a 26 gallon tank. I think my range was just shy of 1,250 miles. Filled up about once a month. Man I miss that old thing.
Back a few years ago when diesel was nearly $4.00/gal, I sold one of my kidneys to fill the tank. Boy was that worth it!

Back a few years ago when diesel was nearly $4.00/gal, I sold one of my kidneys to fill the tank. Boy was that worth it!
I guess that's West Coast prices for you?

(I hardly dare to mention that in Europe that would be considered cheap. In many countries Diesel has a lower tax than gas, but even then $5-6 per gallon is about normal. Make that 6-7 for gas.
There are subsidies for LPG in Germany, making it about half the price of gas, and that was about the only way I could afford to run my RAM truck over there).

I guess that's West Coast prices for you?

(I hardly dare to mention that in Europe that would be considered cheap. In many countries Diesel has a lower tax than gas, but even then $5-6 per gallon is about normal. Make that 6-7 for gas.
There are subsidies for LPG in Germany, making it about half the price of gas, and that was about the only way I could afford to run my RAM truck over there).
Yes but as fellow German traveler, I get a whole slew of very high mileage diesel cars to choose from that rental counters! We were there for 4 weeks and went through 4 counties and filled the tank 4 times. And I need not tell you how much I like the autobahn's!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Tron
Morale of the story. Americans excel at wood stove efficiency and germans at vehicle efficiency.

Morale of the story. Americans excel at wood stove efficiency and germans at vehicle efficiency.

Huh, diesel scandal anyone..?

Oh
And french/Italians at wine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpine1
Funny you'd say that. My parents in law over in Germany are looking for a new stove, and there are none available that have a cat. Only non-cats.

And BK does not seem to deliver there ;-)
(Besides: wood stoves in Germany need an emissions certificate according to the Feuerstättenverordnung, which BK's surely don't have. At least none accepted by German authorities.)

Funny you'd say that. My parents in law over in Germany are looking for a new stove, and there are none available that have a cat. Only non-cats.

And BK does not seem to deliver there ;-)
(Besides: wood stoves in Germany need an emissions certificate according to the Feuerstättenverordnung, which BK's surely don't have. At least none accepted by German authorities.)

Hm, I know folks in The Netherlands that are interested in a BK, but can't get it...

There is a BK (and Pacific Energy, true north, Regency and other brands) dealer in Italy. He sells in whole Europe. As far as I know, it’s the only one here.
www.stufefocolari.com
His name is Emiliano, your friends may try to contact him.

Huh, diesel scandal anyone..?
Well, they weren't lying about the efficiency, just the emissions, which are deadly. It's really been one of the most disappointing things to ever happen to diesel. Prior to the "Diesel Gate" I really believed they could be more efficient AND cleaner than gas engines. Turns out I was wrong and I will never own another diesel engine vehicle. Diesel emissions are much worse than gasoline, so good on the US for not adopting them. Most European cities are so choked out with smog they are banning diesels and will soon ban gasoline as well.

Escargots, that is... !!!
Snails are nasty, of course
My favorite scene in the show Little House on the Prairie is when two guys are sitting at a "fancy" restaurant after working on the road for a month. THey ask the waiter for the fanciest food and he shows up with Escargot and one guy says "Them's snails!" really loud and they just walked out.

I actually love frog legs lol.
So do I! Due to the French domination of northern Italy during the 18th century, many meals are shared between the French and Italian (northern) cuisine.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Well, they weren't lying about the efficiency, just the emissions, which are deadly. It's really been one of the most disappointing things to ever happen to diesel. Prior to the "Diesel Gate" I really believed they could be more efficient AND cleaner than gas engines. Turns out I was wrong and I will never own another diesel engine vehicle. Diesel emissions are much worse than gasoline, so good on the US for not adopting them. Most European cities are so choked out with smog they are banning diesels and will soon ban gasoline as well.

All my DD vehicles are diesels, all pre dpf/scr. 2004 Silverado with a Duramax, 2001 Jetta with an ALH and a 2006 Jetta with a BRM. The 2001 Jetta is a 5 speed and gets just under 50mpg in the summer. Took me months to find the Jetta’s the way I wanted them, great cars.

So when I see a gravel hauler, or cement truck take off ahead of me blowing out tons of black smoke, I should be concerned? But a Jetta or Passat blowing virtually no emissions, I should fear for my health?

So when I see a gravel hauler, or cement truck take off ahead of me blowing out tons of black smoke, I should be concerned? But a Jetta or Passat blowing virtually no emissions, I should fear for my health?
Yes in both cases. The emissions from the Jettas and Passats are invisible NOX particulates. These are the ones that get into your lungs and cause cancer, much like silica and other fine particulates. The big trucks with visible plumes are just as bad, but at least you can see it. Really all cars emit toxic fumes, so you should be concerned about your health any time you are near a combustion engine. If you can smell the fumes then they are damaging your body.