Just need to vent!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doc C

Minister of Fire
Jul 26, 2017
Bonner County Idaho
E29075AF-62B2-4B31-91CE-56941A78B063.jpeg
A Vietnam vet from the church had a local company come out and clean his chimney. Single story half tripple wall and half single wall.

They "cleaned" his chimney and told him that the tripple wall was broken open and insulation was coming out.

Price to replace the 4 pieces of tripple wall was $2000.

Also they gave him a picture that clearly showed the insulation coming out of the pipe. I wish I had that picture to share here.

My father in law called me and asked if I could give him a hand since that was his only heat source and he did not have the money to fix it.

My father in law and I went up there.

This is what we found. He has not had a fire since they "cleaned" it!

We pulled everything apart inspected everything and put in all new pipe since he already had bought it.

Did not find any issues at all. I would of put the old pipe right back in if it was my house but he had already picked up new pipe.

The photo he showed me was clearly from a different pipe and this company told him it was from his.

Wow. Shady. When you pulled all the old pipe you just found it filthy but no damage?

This is why so many people find it so hard to hire/trust experts. I see it all the time with automotive repairs too.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't triple wall pipe not use insulation?

Reactions: Doc C
This is why so many people find it so hard to hire/trust experts. I see it all the time with automotive repairs too.

I think I've seen some insulated tripple wall over the years. Not 100% sure though

No most suitable for use with wood stives does. It just has less than the doublewall