Just noticed this inside my Woodstock Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFlores

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2013
NH
Last night I was cleaning out my stove and noticed this small hole in one of the internal stone plates. The hole is about large enough to stick the end of a pencil in, and you can see the airspace inside it. On a Fireview you have two pieces of stone that slide together to make the corners, (one inner and one outer) the hole is on the corner in back furthest from the door. I cant imagine it would pose a safety or integrity concern but wanted to check here to see what people thought. I would imagine it would be quite a chore to replace the piece of stone, and it possibly has been like this all along? I've always been careful not to "throw" wood in the stove and usually place or slide it in carefully. Maybe it had been filled with that "wood stove caulk" they use when building, and it finally deteriorated and fell away? Who knows. Anyway, what would you guys do? Here's a photo.

photo-2.jpg

I would just fill the void with some stove cement and check on it from time to time. Do the Fireviews have two layers of soapstone like the Woodstock Classics have? If so, the furnace/stove cement should work fine.

Nick, yes they have the 2 layers. I'd also plug the hole with stove cement for now. I don't think replacing the stone is a real difficult task. Call Woodstock for sure.

This is actually one hazard with some folks who "throw" wood into the stove. Or even jam it in. Bang! it goes on the other end and there is a crack. Call Woodstock as they have the right answer.

Yeah, I'm going to contact Woodstock and see what they say. Tomorrow am I'll empty the box of all ash and coal and once it's cooled I'll fill the hole with Stove Cement for now.

Yesterday I let the stove cool off and emptied out all the coal and ash. Once it cooled off decently I cleaned up the area with steel wool and found remnants of old stove cement that had been on the area and had since flaked off. I re-applied a small bit of stove cement with a putty knife and let it dry for about an hour before starting the stove back up slowly to cure the patch. I'm thinking this little hole was always there and just exposed itself after the cement flaked off finally (after 12 years of constant use). Anyway, the little patch came out good and I think we're good as new! She's back up and running nicely.

Glad it all worked out for ya and good job slow curing.Keep us informed.I put wood in too far once in awhile and when it tunks into the further end of the stove I cringe.I go easy as I can.

I had that cement break away in that same corner with my Fireview. WS said not to worry there are metal splines between and two layers of stone so it shouldn't leak. I did the same as you and used furnace cement for a patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.