Just ordered a new Jøtul F500 Oslo V3. Tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sean in the woods

Burning Hunk
Sep 2, 2020
UP, Michigan, USA
Hi folks,

I just ordered a replacement for the old Vermont Castings stove that came with the house we moved into last year. I ordered a Jøtul Oslo F500 V3 in Blue/Black enamel with the optional cooktop and blower kit. The enamel is going to delay delivery for a month, which is OK with me.

Has anyone out there used a V3 (with the combustor)? I’d love some tips on how best to get a long overnight burn from this stove. I am new to all this so any tips are welcome.

Sean

Dry wood. Make sure get a moisture tester and try to have wood under 20%.
Thanks. When trying for a long burn, at what point could the wood be too dry? I don’t think I will ever be at that point but it is nice to know both the upper and lower limits, if any.

Don’t worry about too dry.

Wood that below 10% with a loose stove would cause problems, since you have a brand new stove (tight gaskets) you wont have an issue.
With wood that is up to 22% you can (pretty rare) have an over draft issue, if you do have an over draft issue a simple pipe damper in the chimney will slow things down, but the caveat to that is you wont know you have an excessive draft unless you test the chimney with a meter and the fire going full blast.

Wood that below 10% with a loose stove would cause problems, since you have a brand new stove (tight gaskets) you wont have an issue.
With wood that is up to 22% you can (pretty rare) have an over draft issue, if you do have an over draft issue a simple pipe damper in the chimney will slow things down, but the caveat to that is you wont know you have an excessive draft unless you test the chimney with a meter and the fire going full blast.
Would my local dealer have this meter?

We have 6” double wall stainless straight from the stove through the roof. About 30’, I think.
Edit: Just did some rough measurements. We have about 25’ of pipe.

Last edited:
For firewood, there is no “too dry” if you are air drying your wood outside like normal. At some point, it hits its a point of equilibrium where it doesn’t dry further. Even at that point the moisture in that dry wood prevents any problems with it being too dry.
Too dry only exists if using artificial means ( like a kiln maybe). I imagine living in Death Valley and drying your wood there could be an issue maybe, but I’m sure you won’t run into that ever in Michigan.

Reactions: Highbeam
Sean, please give us a review as you run the new V3 Oslo this winter.

I have canceled my Jotul Oslo V3 order.

After a long wait for the stove to come in from the Jotul USA factory, the dealer found out that Jotul will not be able to build the stove I ordered until sometime next year
:headbang:
. I called the factory and they confirmed this. Because of this and the quality controls issues that another new Oslo V3 owner experienced, I decided to change course and get one of the other stoves I was considering.

Our new Pacific Energy Alderlea T6 LE should arrive this week or next. I’ll let you know in a separate thread how it goes.

I really do appreciate the help, experience and knowledge that you all have shared. This is one of the most central decisions for our house and I needed to stick the landing.

Thanks,
Sean