Just ordered a vapor fire 100!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jhorst14

Oct 29, 2017
Maryland
super excited that I was just able to place my order for a new vapor fire 100 for our new house. We are building a new house and I am putting this beast in the basement. Really hoping between this and the freestanding wood stove on the first floor I can heat the whole place...at least most of it. With the unfinished basement we will have about 5500 ft2. Have about 20 acres of oak surrounding the house, so a good supply of wood. I just don’t want to buy much propane. Will keep you posted once it’s delivered and we get it installed

Reactions: JRHAWK9
that's a freakin' HUGE house! !!!

Looking forward to your install. Just be prepared to do some tweaking in your setup to get things dialed in optimally for your house. It took me 3 winters to get things to where I'm pretty much optimized. There's a big difference from where I started to where I am now in terms of how it's heating the house. It's not the furnace itself, but the delivery of the air which can take some tweaking.

Looking forward to your install. Just be prepared to do some tweaking in your setup to get things dialed in optimally for your house. It took me 3 winters to get things to where I'm pretty much optimized. There's a big difference from where I started to where I am now in terms of how it's heating the house. It's not the furnace itself, but the delivery of the air which can take some tweaking.

Any insight you could share would be appreciated.

Would be glad to. Once you get started PM me and I can share everything I learned along the way. First off, make sure you get baffles in your ducts to protect backfeeding of your LP furnace (when wood blower runs) and wood furnace (when LP blower runs). Because of the size of your house you will probably need your LP furnace to work seamlessly with your wood furnace on those very cold mornings when the fire is dying out. I don't have my wood furnace cold air shared with my LP cold air, as I'm using an open staircase for my wood furnace cold air. Personally, I would suggest you don't either, as you shouldn't share cold air if you need to run both blowers at the same time. Although if you don't have an open staircase, you may not have a choice. IE, I have my LP thermostat set to 68°. The LP will kick on if the house temp ever drops below 68° regardless if the wood blower is on or not. I have things setup with relays allowing me to do this. The LP and wood furnaces play well together if I should ever need both at the same time.

Congrats! An excellent choice. Is your wood already cut and stacked? Very important to have well seasoned wood, and oak often takes two, sometimes three, full summers to achieve this.