Just Picked Up 5 Ton Of Green Teams For $950.00 Delivered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma869

Feeling the Heat
Aug 27, 2011
Massachusetts
Great deal using a 10% off coupon for Lowes. With the coupon, it comes out to $177 per ton with a $65 delivery fee for all 5 ton. I'm definitely not a pellet expert, as I just had a new Harman Accentra insert installed this past January. I burned Warm Fronts last winter (which I'm told are New England Wood Pellets). Even though I had nothing to compare them to, the ash content seemed really high and they seemed like middle of the road pellets, so I guess if the Green Teams are comparable to the Warm Fronts, I'll be okay with that, given the price difference. I paid $260 a ton for the Warm Fronts, so I figured for almost $100.00 less per ton, the Green Teams were probably worth taking a flyer on. The Lowes I went to had Green Teams and Green Supremes (talk about confusing). Not really sure which one is better but from reading here, most seem satisfied with the Green Teams. Now, time to make room along one of my garage walls to accept the delivery on Saturday.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the deal on the pellets. Buying that amount w/o ever burning them in your stove is quite a gamble....hope it works well for you.

imacman said:
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the deal on the pellets. Buying that amount w/o ever burning them in your stove is quite a gamble....hope it works well for you.

X2.... Buying in very large amounts is Dangerous.

The 2 things you have going are....
1. GT"s are a pretty good pellet (Never burned them? Many people here have good results)
2. Harmans are a good self cleaning bottom feed unit. So even a "Fair" pellet in them will normally burn good. (This has MANY variables... Depends on the set-up of flue and the maintenance of the unit)

A Clean Stove = Happy Stove.. Keep the stove Maintained and Clean.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I didn't really view my purchase as a "gamble" given that I got 2 ton (which is all I burned due to the late January installation) of Warm Fronts and had never burned any pellet in my life. I have been told that the GT are at least as good as that, and if that's the case, I'm hoping that I'll be okay. I'm not sure that I have the patience to buy a random bag of different brands to ascertain who the good, bad or ugly is. I definitely read this forum regligiously, and will try to steer clear of brands that many feel aren't worth buying. I've also been told that my Harman stove is a "tank" and will pretty much burn anything that I throw at it. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that I have a good experience with the GT over the upcoming weekend.

John

Hello

Do not forget the Lowe's charge card?

$197 per Ton Wood pellets either Premium Green Team or Premium Green Supremes

- 19.7 Less 10% Military ID or Moving Coupon

$177.30

- 8.86 Less 5% Lowe’s Charge Card discount

$168.44 Price per Ton

That is a darn good price for some really good wood pellets!!!

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 985
I burned GT last year and I had great results in my Lopi Leyden. Great heat and ash level slightly below normal. I have another ton for this year. On a side note, I talked to a local stove dealer and he told me the big box stores are hurting his sales. He is selling MWP for 239 and places like TSC and Lowe's are selling for 197. Adds up if you are buying several tons. Big box stores definately keeping downward pressure on Pellet prices. However, I do agree with the above posts suggesting burning before buying if possible. Good luck and I think you will be fine.

Don2222 said:
Hello

$177.30

$168.44 Price per Ton

I must be the only guy who has never seen a moving coupon. I guess I need to move from my current house of 16 years to get one. LOL I did plan on gettting the Charge Card, again, to get the 5% but am going to hunt for a 10% coupon as well. My local Lowes also has Greene Teams and If I do get 15% off I'll bring home 2 tons.

pelletnubi said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

$177.30

$168.44 Price per Ton

I must be the only guy who has never seen a moving coupon. I guess I need to move from my current house of 16 years to get one. LOL I did plan on gettting the Charge Card, again, to get the 5% but am going to hunt for a 10% coupon as well. My local Lowes also has Greene Teams and If I do get 15% off I'll bring home 2 tons.
http://www.lowes.com/cd_Lowes+Moving+Center_509684072_ Fill out info...Got mine emailed in about 10 days i think.

About five years ago Greene Team had a decent pellet for the few bags I tried. I heard they had some mill issues and did some "improvements and changes" as to what I do not know. I never knew them to sell to the big box stores. Good Luck

I know I am selling pellets at $220 a ton for ProPellet and they are 100% indoor storage. I will not sell or buy pellets stored outside.

Eric

oilhater said:
pelletnubi said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

$177.30

$168.44 Price per Ton

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Lowes+Moving+Center_509684072_ Fill out info...Got mine emailed in about 10 days i think.

Thank you. I filled it out and hope to get one before the sale is over. I don't really need more pellets right now but with the $197/ton sale on GT's and 15% off on top of that, I'll find room for 2

Been burning greene teams past three years, good pellet imho.
Think you'll like them.

kinsman stoves said:
About five years ago Greene Team had a decent pellet for the few bags I tried. I heard they had some mill issues and did some "improvements and changes" as to what I do not know. I never knew them to sell to the big box stores. Good Luck

I know I am selling pellets at $220 a ton for ProPellet and they are 100% indoor storage. I will not sell or buy pellets stored outside.

Eric
Storing pellets inside is worth $20.00 a ton easy, maybe even $30.00 a ton, I'd never buy pellets stored out side, what do you do if they turn out to be bad , reload them , drive them back, go find good pellets, drive back unload,

I agree with not wanting to buy pellets stored outside but where do most manufactures store their pellets? How are they trucked? I think a lot of pellets spend more time outside than we think. Just my HO. But definitely, the less time spend outside the better.

buildingmaint said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric
Storing pellets inside is worth $20.00 a ton easy, maybe even $30.00 a ton, I'd never buy pellets stored out side, what do you do if they turn out to be bad , reload them , drive them back, go find good pellets, drive back unload,

I wish this had a Face Book "Like" button. I would have just clicked it.

Eric

tumbles said:
I agree with not wanting to buy pellets stored outside but where do most manufactures store their pellets? How are they trucked? I think a lot of pellets spend more time outside than we think. Just my HO. But definitely, the less time spend outside the better.

I will not take pellets that were stored outside but then again Fiber By Products makes ProPellet and they are stored 100% indoors. I have them shipped in a box van and I unload them inside a warehouse where they are kept. The only time they see sun light is if I shuffle them to my other building or as I am loading them.

That is how I roll.

Eric

I've been waiting for the 10% coupon to get a ton or two of the GT's and came across a $10 off $50 purchase coupon so I stopped by today and purchased 16 bags of GT's which totalled $52.08(3.31/bag) w/coupon, not bad price. I wish I had a few more of those $10 off instead of the 10% but beggers can't be choosers.

Now I just checked my email and have the 10% off sitting there for me to go back and get a full wrapped ton dropped on my trailer. I will also be applying for a CC to get the extra 5%. According to the math above it will be a very good deal at about $168/ton.

One thing I didn't find on these GT bags is the Manufactured date, just some numbers which I wonder would be date code.

I have 2 more ton of pellets coming this week one ton of Hamers for 215.00 a ton and a ton of Iron Stone Mills for 210.00 a ton. This will give me 4 ton for the winter I hope that will be enough.

referee38 said:
I have 2 more ton of pellets coming this week one ton of Hamers for 215.00 a ton and a ton of Iron Stone Mills for 210.00 a ton. This will give me 4 ton for the winter I hope that will be enough.

Never heard of Iron Stone Mills brand, Post some comments once you get to burning them for the group, Please. :)

Ok will do they are a local pellet made in Leola ,Pa. Dealer said they had good feed back on them. I am trying 3 different kind.
http://grimesmowerservice.com/ is like to place where I got them.

Our lowes isn't very good. They have Somersets for 5.97 a bag, and I asked them if the price match and they said yes. But you have to prove the price and they have to have it in stock or no go. Somerset for 300 is nuts, when down the road i'm getting them for 209-210 a ton.

Well I am not getting the Iron Stone Mill Pellets they called and said the company had flood damage from the recent storm. I just told them to bring two tons of Hamers instead of one ton. Getting them in the morning should be a good work out putting them away. This will give me 4 ton of pellets for the winter.

Well two ton of Hamers sitting in the garage to be put away.

you also can buy them on ebay for anywhere between $.70-1.00 each.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lowes+10+coupon

i typically buy 10-20 at a time just for the pure convenience of always saving 10%.

They honor them at home depot as well (competitor match).

oilhater said:
pelletnubi said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

$177.30

$168.44 Price per Ton

Just to update my order on this thread as well, I made a purchase of two tons on Monday and picked them up yesterday. I was not able to get an additional 5% for opening up a CC as they said cannot be combined with any other offer or coupons so for the ones that did get the additional 5% got a better deal. What I did have was another $10 off a $50 purchase coupon which I used to purchase 13 bags and then I purchased an additional 87 bags using a 10% off coupon. So two tons almost came out to about the same price if I had used 15% off w/coupon & CC, still very happy with the end price.

I was told price was going up Monday after closing but yesterday it was still 3.94/bag making it 197/ton before any coupon deals. Most, if not all of the pellets are stored outside my local Lowes and I turned down 3 tons they had brought out for me before finding 2 that were right. The ones I turned down had at least one bag that was bad so I didn't want to chance them having even more when I opened the skits. Keep in mind all these GT's at my local lowes were outside since at least before Irene hit and I picked them up yesterday in the rain, so they have seen large amounts of rain and wind.

I unloaded one ton yesterday and all bags were perfect, hope to get the same results when I unload the second ton.

Attachments

• Photo0721 (Large).jpg
    Photo0721 (Large).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 463
ITBURNS(AKA pelletnubi) said:
I've been waiting for the 10% coupon to get a ton or two of the GT's and came across a $10 off $50 purchase coupon so I stopped by today and purchased 16 bags of GT's which totalled $52.08(3.31/bag) w/coupon, not bad price. I wish I had a few more of those $10 off instead of the 10% but beggers can't be choosers.

Now I just checked my email and have the 10% off sitting there for me to go back and get a full wrapped ton dropped on my trailer. I will also be applying for a CC to get the extra 5%. According to the math above it will be a very good deal at about $168/ton.

One thing I didn't find on these GT bags is the Manufactured date, just some numbers which I wonder would be date code.

The $10 of $50 Lowes coupons are better than the 10% off. It will take a extreme couponer, 15 coupons and a friendly store manager but you will end up with $158.54/Ton.
It will take 15 transactions as the coupon is one per transaction, not visit. Buy 13 bags @ 3.94/bag or $197/ton. $51.22-$10.00 off= $41.22 or $3.17/bag. It can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.