Just picked up a Honey Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don H

Feeling the Heat
Aug 19, 2015
Maryland
So I couldn't pass up a $65 Honey Bear just 10 miles from home. I'll be restoring this one to use in a small hunting cabin.

Pictures to follow.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Here's some pictures.

Label says it was made by C.E. Smith on 9/9/83. I believe Smith was in PA.

Anyone have a manual for this one?

Attachments

• HB Front.JPG
    HB Front.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 226
  • HB Firebox.JPG
    HB Firebox.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 241
  • HB Side.JPG
    HB Side.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 231
  • HB UL Label.JPG
    HB UL Label.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 237
$65?! Geez ow, you couldn't buy the steel for that! What a steal!
I think @coaly is the site guru on these...

Paid $75 for the Baby Bear in my avatar. :)
OK, you sir are getting a "you suck" now! ;lol
$400 buys you a rusted out hulk Fisher around here...

The Honey Bear was listed as "Brown Wood Stove" but the picture clearly showed it was a Fisher. The picture was cut off at the bottom and only showed the front doors, I thought it was a Grandma until I got there to see it.

If it makes you feel better over half the brick need to be replace. I pay $1.45 each for those at the local building supply place. ;)

If it makes you feel better over half the brick need to be replace. I pay $1.45 each for those at the local building supply place. ;)
Much better, thanks! ;lol

Reactions: Don H
So from my searching on the Honey Bear stove here I've found that:
1, No gasket for the door since it doesn't have glass doors.
2. Correct stove paint is Stove Bright Metallic Brown #6159.

I found two pictures I have of solid door Honey Bears with doors open and neither has a gasket. So no gasket gets my vote.
The Fisher literature I have that shows the solid door Honey Bear Insert is only shown closed. So I don't have anything from Fisher that shows for sure.
You should be able to figure it out by measuring with a straight edge. Put the edge across the door seal to measure depth, then put the straight edge over raised seal area on door and measure the height of the raised portion. That should tell you if there is a lot of clearance for gasket material. If it makes contact in the center as well as the edges of channel iron, I wouldn't use a gasket. Here's the two pics I've got from craigslist years ago when I was looking for one.

Honey Bear 1981 CL OR 1.jpg Oregon Solid Door Honey Bear 2 MN.jpg Minnesota

Camfan still has new in box brown blowers for them that hang on the bottom of rear shield if you want to dress it up.
I have to get a hold of him to send me a black one before I sell all his old stock and leave none for myself!
Serves you right if he charges you $150 for it. ;lol
I paid $200 for my Honey Bear and drove 5 hours to Buffalo NY in 3 feet of "lake effect" snow for it !

I'm digging for my C.E Smith info that was on an old PC I had crash a few months ago. They were not from PA. Only one in PA was the Moore's in Factoryville.

Thanks for the info!

I agree that the Honey Bear does not get a gasket. This stove had gaskets when I got it but by the looks of the job I believe they were done by a previous owner. I noticed that the doors didn't seem to be closing properly and that the door handle when closed didn't line up with the fixed handle. Pulled the old gaskets and everything seemed to fit properly. I'll measure and check the gap but for now, no gasket.

I was wrong about C.E Smith Mfg. in PA, they're still in business and are in Greensboro, NC.