Just purchased a new old Jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mascari5

May 29, 2015
03051 Hudson NH
Any 118 experts out there?
I just purchased a 118 (197?). It's the non UL model with 2 hole pattern burn plates. The plates are a little warped and have a couple cracks near the hanging holes. I could probably get a year out of them as is but I'd feel safer replacing them. The cost of new is crazy and would make the stove a bad investment . Is it possible to make some out of plate steel either galvanized or stainless. I have some scrap steel at work and I modeled the plates on cad. I actually modeled them as newer UL plates with 3 positions. What would be the concern being made out of steel? I have either .125thk or .200thk to irk with.
This stove will be replacing my 602c

Any 118 experts out there?
I just purchased a 118 (197?). It's the non UL model with 2 hole pattern burn plates. The plates are a little warped and have a couple cracks near the hanging holes. I could probably get a year out of them as is but I'd feel safer replacing them. The cost of new is crazy and would make the stove a bad investment . Is it possible to make some out of plate steel either galvanized or stainless. I have some scrap steel at work and I modeled the plates on cad. I actually modeled them as newer UL plates with 3 positions. What would be the concern being made out of steel? I have either .125thk or .200thk to irk with.
This stove will be replacing my 602c
By the way I'm new here. Great forum

Welcome aboard! I know a few here have owned 118's, I'm sure someone with answers will be along soon.

Have owned a few Jotuls myself, but all were Firelight 12's.

Thanks and hopefully people reply.
I tore the stove apart this afternoon. I'm going to resell the whole thing. There were a ton of light leaks so I figured I should rip it apart. I did break 4 bolts but I sort of figured some would break. It's green enamel and has some small rust spots where there were scratched.would it be safe to paint over the enamel with a high temp paint ?

If it were my stove I would get cast iron burn plates. They should last longer and also may fit better against the baffle. My concern with steel would be warpage. If you choose this rout use the heaviest gauge you can.

heat shield.jpg
I was thinking about ordering new but the cost is crazy. I think the shields alone would be about $500.
Here is a quick draft of what I was thinking.The shield would have a relief bend at the bottom to add some strength and would also have 2 pieces of steel running across the length. The cost to it like this is probably about $60 in material and my time to cut and bend. I guess my main concern would be if I am protecting what its there for.My guess is that they are there to help protect the cast sides ?

It should work as protection but I wouldn't expect their lifetime to match cast iron. Steel tends to warp more easily.

Your question is not uncommon. Give it a try and keep us updated on how they work out after a few seasons on them.

Thanks begreen and I do agree it wont outlast the Cast. Is there a reason the production shield does not go all the way down to the bottom of the firebox? Its sort of a strange design IMO.
Also what would you do for painting? Im fairly sure anything I put over the enamel will flake off and look twice as bad as it does now. Could I simply use engine enamel paint right over what I have ? Or is better to first use a high temp primer and paint over that?
Thanks so far this site has been great for feedback.

The burn plates only cover the hottest part of the fire box. Put in at least 1/2" of clean sand on the bottom after the rebuild.

PS: I know the new parts seem expensive, but you will essentially be starting with an almost new stove. Restored and in good condition the enameled F118 can bring a very good price still. At about $800-1000 (in fall) that is more than it sold for new.

Reactions: mascari5
What is that I see in the far right end of the plenum? Did the 118's have cat combustors?

No cat. Ridged and enameled side port cover.

Last edited:
So here I am ready to start my third season with the 118. This stove is amazing and has kept the house warm. I think I average about 2.5 cords per year and burn about 75% of the day. I have not done a lot of over night burns because if I close the air down too much it smokes like crazy outside and I dont want to get any of my neighbors mad lol. This year I was thinking about replacing it with a newer stove but its hard to get rid of something that works so well. I still have not replaced the baffles but they have developed a couple cracks so I have been looking on craigslist for a stove with decent baffles. anyway I am happy with the stove and the fact that there is so much free wood around. This stove has probably saved me 2.5 k in heating bills over the last 2 seasons.

Congratulations on getting it to work

You might want to consider a low cost epa steel stove like the nc30... home depot carries it for ~$900