Just purchased used englander EP 25 and need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Jan 27, 2013
I just bought an englander evolution pellet stove to heat my basement. I live in a raised ranch with 10 inch uninsulated block walls in the basement and looking to heat about 1300 sq feet area. I installed the stove with about 5 feet vertical vent inside and horizontal through wall. I have ran the stove for about 12 hour stints and the basement temperature only moves about 2 degrees. It has been cold with temps in single digits but basement stays between 54-57. I cleaned the baffles of the stove and heat is coming from the blower and ran the diagnostics and all checks out. I just burned New England pellets and now I have an overflowing burn pot. I have tried running the stove at all levels. The bottom 3 buttons are at factory settings. This is my first pellet stove. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am about ready to sell it. The stove is rated up to 2000sq feet

Heating with any kind of stove from an unfinished basement is an exercise in futility. I heat our 2,500 sq. ft. two story with a stove on the first floor but have a pellet stove in the 1,000 sq. ft. unfinished basement with half of it blocked off. Once a year, today is this years day, I take a shot at heating the place with just the stove down there. Isn't gonna work but I do it for grins.

Those block walls, the concrete floor and the stuff in the basement soak up more heat on a constant basis than a stove can overcome. And the heat soaked up by the walls just ends up in the dirt on the other side of them.

You installed it in an uninsulated block wall basement, probably with concrete floors. No stove will efficiently heat that area. It will take to long for the stove to heat the walls and floor to heat 1300 sq. ft.

You basically have two options:

1 - insulate the basement

2 - move the stove to an insulated area

You will have a very hard time to get that basement to heat up the way it is.

Because the basement walls are un-insulated they are going to suck up the heat for a very long time until you see the temps start to rise. Insulating the wall/floor will help.

Yeah I used to have a wood stove and my office in my un-insulated basement. And burning the crap out of the stove in the morning the room temp finally got semi comfortable by noon. I have been firing the PDVC to the max for five hours down there and it is just making the turn now. Expensive burning.

Heating with any kind of stove from an unfinished basement is an exercise in futility.......Those block walls, the concrete floor and the stuff in the basement soak up more heat on a constant basis than a stove can overcome. And the heat soaked up by the walls just ends up in the dirt on the other side of them.
Yep, what he said. Move the stove somewhere that's insulated, like upstairs.

the overflowing burn pot seems like a different issue on top of the location.

the overflowing burn pot seems like a different issue on top of the location.
He bought a USED stove.....does that give you a hint of what is probably the issue, and why it was sold in the first place?

Wheres the famous englander customer service? To little stove, to big of uninsulated block wall. Just a huge heat sink. Not trying to be smart. Just the facts.

yeah. but if the stove gets moved, it will likely still have the other issue as well.
other folks have bought used stoves and had success getting them to work properly with help here.
oh well. just noticed a lot of advice about moving it. which is GREAT advice.
still going to have to do something about the other issue.

probably needs the usual full cleaning at least.
who knows? maybe it's beyond hope. not enough data.

Hey Guys:
Let me get my 2 cents in. I agree with Jay. I had an Englander in the basemnt with uninsulated walls. It reduced
my propane bills by 1/3. I went to Enviro Maxx-M & with the setting on two, the upstairs is 74 (wife has health
issues). We have been down to single digits. What I have noticed is, that concrete acts like a "fly wheel" & once it gets warm. it radiates heat. Also, I am in a warmer climate (10 degrees) than New England. So, there you have it.
Guess it's location,location,location.

Wheres the famous englander customer service? To little stove, to big of uninsulated block wall. Just a huge heat sink. Not trying to be smart. Just the facts.
The "famous" Englander customer service is only a phone call away...GUARANTEED.
Can you say that about your Harman?
I know I can't.

Reactions: Cozy Old Coot
The "famous" Englander customer service is only a phone call away...GUARANTEED.
Can you say that about your Harman?
I know I can't.
Have had good luck with dealers support and advise. Nothing like first hand and hands on. Damn good advise from this site too. Probably don't hurt I been around some sort of heating device and boiler engineers most of my life. Sorry to offend Englander. Was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Have had good luck with dealers support and advise. Nothing like first hand and hands on. Damn good advise from this site too. Probably don't hurt I been around some sort of heating device and boiler engineers most of my life. Sorry to offend Englander. Was meant to be tongue in cheek.

No apologies...
We're all big boys (and girls) here.

Status
Not open for further replies.