Just saying thanks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joss

Sep 7, 2008
Manitoba, Canada
Hello,

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all the good people who helped us plan the heating for our home ( original post with sketch of our house ). We are now the proud, happy and warm owners of a Blaze King Ultra - King Model. It was finally installed this week, and I started the first fire yesterday. Keeping the stove on low (loaded with Manitoba maple & poplar wood), it burnt nicely for 16 hours and kept most of the house toasty warm (ranging from 20 to 23 degrees Celsius) with 0 degrees Celsius outside. It is not a thing of beauty neither does it have nice flames to look at (most of the time), but it sure is working well and burning efficiently!

For readers of the original post, we had to finally put the stove in front of the fireplace as neither putting in an insert or putting a stove inside the existing fireplace worked with the way the fireplace was built.

So thanks again for all the help in the process! It has been long, but with a happy ending!

Attached is a photo of it, complete with the dog and all... :

Attachments

• blaze-king2.jpg
    blaze-king2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 508
Good to hear back from you Josh, thanks for the update. You should be very happy with that stove. Good choice, it appears to have dog approval (Shelty?) How are the family and brms 3,4 & 5 heating? Did you have to add a fan to assist getting heat to that end of the house?

Good to hear from you BeGreen - and thanks for all your help!

Yes, I think we will be (we already are). You're right, our Sheltie is going to have some good naps in front of that one! :)
We got the fan kit installed on the stove and so far just keep the stove on low and the fans on low (as recommended in the manual - stove low - fans low, stove medium - fans meduim etc.).
We have the door down to bedroom 3,4 & 5 closed for the winter (and to keep our little girl from rifling though our stored away stuff). Those bedrooms are just used for storage and guest bedrooms for now anyway. Funny, as I am writing this, my wife complains about it being too hot, so I just opened the door to let some heat down that hallway. I took the doors of the old fireplace to let some air circulate into the family room from the living room. If we keep the door open as well, it seems to be ok in there. We might have to put a fan in the old fireplace to distribute more heat from the living room to the family room when it gets colder. The kitchen is doing really great, and the mudroom at the far end we just occasionally opens the door to. The bathroom doors are mostly shut, so it's colder in there. We might take your advice and get a heated towel rack or something in there. We are amazed at how much heat this stove throws out at the lowest setting, and I am pretty confident that it will keep us warm in the middle of winter as well. Getting two new exterior doors will help too.
With electricity (forced air), we were always trying to keep it low to save money. Even when we did crank the heat up, it didn't really feel that warm. With the new wood stove, we have never been this warm in the house ever - and we don't even have to feel guilty about it!

Josh

Joss said:
...It is not a thing of beauty...

I respectfully but emphatically disagree. Rick

So is that the princess model or the king? Both are of course blaze kings. It looks like the princess and I think it looks great. How loud are the fans?

Fossil: Well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder I guess... I think say e.g. the Jøtul Firelight looks a lot better. The beauty to me is the efficiency and heat this thing throws out! I have to say it looks better than what we were expecting though.

Highbeam: It is the King model. On low the fans are not bad at all - hardly noticeable. On medium they are ok - about comparable to a forced air furnace running. On high they are a bit loud and a little annoying I would think if you are in the room watching something or having a conversation. But I have to experience this a bit more before I judge it I guess.

nice pic.

I have a great dane so you can see how I thought the sheltie was a cat at first.

I do like that irregular brick wall, nice tch.

I can now see I want a parlor and 12+ hrs of burnseems normal. Thanx for posting. Lazy ppl everywhere thank you

back in 07

Gotta love the search option. just beacause a thread is old doesn'tg make it dead.

Well Josh, I am happy for ya. Nothing wrong with the looks. The Satin door would be nice but they sure are $000.
Whats going to look nice is your electric bill and wood pile. Congratulations and enjoy your warmer winters in the house.

MY DREAM STOVE!! enjoy it in all its glory! someday too i will achieve this wonderful stove!

Hey, thanks and nice to hear from you all again! I have nothing but good to say about this stove so far. I have been burning it for about 3/4 of a month this fall, and it is great for shoulder seasons. My longest burn time so far was 25 hrs with Manitoba Maple (Medium to soft wood), with coals enough that it was no problem restarting the fire. Keeping it on the "1" setting prevents it from getting too hot during the day.

Just came back from a trip to the States (ND) and cranking the stove up as I am writing this to get the house back to normal again. Had our first snow for the season and it's going down to minus 8-9 tonight.

Take care guys!
Josh

Nice to see someone else experience the performance of the BK. Enjoy it this winter. Keep warm and feed it with dry wood. Cheers!

Joss said:
Hey, thanks and nice to hear from you all again! I have nothing but good to say about this stove so far. I have been burning it for about 3/4 of a month this fall, and it is great for shoulder seasons. My longest burn time so far was 25 hrs with Manitoba Maple (Medium to soft wood), with coals enough that it was no problem restarting the fire. Keeping it on the "1" setting prevents it from getting too hot during the day.

Just came back from a trip to the States (ND) and cranking the stove up as I am writing this to get the house back to normal again. Had our first snow for the season and it's going down to minus 8-9 tonight.

Take care guys!
Josh

Thanx for posting your "results" I'm considering one of these and I appraciate real user reviews to supplement salespplz info (and factory stats)

If u get time maybe post us one more time from the dead of winter. I would appreciate it.

Congrats n good luck!

I'm not a fan of the BlazeKing's looks, but I have to say, the picture with it in front of the stonework doesn't make it look half bad . . . in fact it looks pretty decent there. Nice install.

Status
Not open for further replies.