Kedel Running nonstop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PFD279

Feb 20, 2016
South Portland Maine
So my wife mentions to me last week the first floor (zone 1) has been weirdly hot over the last few days. I thought she was crazy and was thinking we had just finally insulated enough. I checked the thermostat and found it to be 70 degrees. 8 degrees above our max. I went and looked at the readout on the kedel and found that we'd used 500lbs of pellets in 3 days. Its cold, but not below zero cold where this may be occasionally normal.

I turned the thermostat off, it still ran. I disconnected the unit, still running. By the time I had the maintenance guys come by I'd lost 800lbs in a week. The did my annual cleaning and changed the ignitors. Still running. I went and bought a new thermostat. Still running.

I've found the furnace turns on any time the internal temp hits 67.

My second floor (zone 2) is set at 62 and has no issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?