keep catalytic engaged when gonna go inactive ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I can't believe I've been burning catalytic stoves for 20+ years and still wondering about this ... But I'm wondering whether or not I should leave the catalyst engaged (in other words, the bypass closed) when I'm going to be ignoring the stove for 8-12 hours or more and the catalyst is likely to become inactive during this time.

Many times, before going to sleep and/or to work the next day, I COULD load the stove up with wood and probably keep the catalyst active until I return. But it just seems like a waste of wood when it's not that cold, and there will still be plenty of coals to easily re-start the fire the next evening.

If I leave the catalyst engaged, I will get clean/efficient burning for a good bit of that time (until the fuel is all used up and it can't stay active); this seems like a good thing. The downside of leaving the cat engaged seems to be that once it goes inactive and the flue gasses are still being forced to pass through it, it may tend to make it get clogged. However, I'm thinking this clogging shouldn't be such a problem because by then there *isn't* much in the way of flue gasses, and to the extent they leave deposits on the cat, the next good hot fire will burn them off anyhow. OTOH, it's not that simple (on the BK, as opposed to a Dutchwest) to just pull the cat out and brush it off or gently vacuum it (yes, I noted a way in which the BK is not as good asd my old stove).

So I'm tempted to say "leave it engaged", but thought I'd seek the advice of folks here.

Leave it engaged. The cat is front and center, it's easy to pull, and I like that you can see it's condition without removing it. Unless your Dutchwest is different than mine, the top has to come off to get to it.

Engaged. By the time the gases have burned off the wood there is little concern for creosote build up. "If" your burning dry wood.
I have to remove 4 screws and be sure to have an interim gasket when cleaning my DW, which I only do twice a year.

ditto....when i used to have a cat, i left it engaged all the time. never had a problem.

cass

+1 Leave it engaged.

On warm days when Im going to let it burn out I just leave it engaged till the stove goes cold... never had an issue. Sometimes on shoulder season days I turn it to low and just let some coals sit all afternoon and it appears to die out... then open the air wide and sometimes it will even restart if there were enough coals banked in the ash to heat up again.

Sounds like 20 years of cat experience has left you with the whole cycle figured out. I do the same thing with the same reasoning of the late fire coals not putting out creosote forming gasses.

Leave it engaged until I reload....

I do same, leave it closed. Now I have another situation that may cause some rollings eyes. Many times when very cold outside and I am home for the day I will not disengage the cat when doing a quick load and stove top on my Encore is over 400. My wood is good and dry and I just drop in a nice big round and never disengage cat. I open up air,do quick load and not much smoke that way and stove just resumes.

I leave the bypass closed even if the load is coaling because then the heat from the fire box is pulled along under the top, where it can be absorbed, then released into the room.

Woody Stover said:
I leave the bypass closed even if the load is coaling because then the heat from the fire box is pulled along under the top, where it can be absorbed, then released into the room.

+1, every time you bypass the heat has a straight shot up the stack.

Definitely agree with everyone on this. There is no reason to do anything with the bypass until it is reload time. Our stove is our only heat and I'd hate to have to time things to close that bypass as it starts to cool down a bit.

Backwoods Savage said:
Definitely agree with everyone on this. There is no reason to do anything with the bypass until it is reload time. Our stove is our only heat and I'd hate to have to time things to close that bypass as it starts to cool down a bit.

You mean open I think.
But I concur..I leave it closed till I reload.

Whoops!

Thanks folks. Looks like a unaminous decision !

A few tangential comments ...

The cat is front and center, it’s easy to pull, and I like that you can see it’s condition without removing it.

I haven't really messed with mine at all, not even removed the grate and inspected it. Ignorance is bliss :) But I'm confused about your saying it's easy to pull. I thought it was tightly fitted in with a gasket, which would likely disintegrate and require replacement upon removal.

webby3650 said:
Unless your Dutchwest is different than mine, the top has to come off to get to it.

Yes, my Dutchwest was 1987 vintage, and had a removable piece in the top (perhaps 8" square) that you could simply lift off and directly access the cat. One thing that caused me to hesitate on buying a new Dutchwest (the old one was getting VERY crufty) was the necessity to disassemble the stove to get to the cat. I'm VERY grateful for that now, as it caused me to see the BK light :)

RustyShackleford said:
But I'm confused about your saying it's easy to pull. I thought it was tightly fitted in with a gasket, which would likely disintegrate and require replacement upon removal

Yes it does.
Only remove it if you have a gasket to replace it with. I think he meant it's front and center so you can see it easily and get a vacuum up there.

I always leave it engaged. I figure if it's time for the cat to go inactive, everything has burned down to coals anyway... So not much creosote/gasses left. Plus it keeps more heat in the stove instead of going straight up the back.. It has to go forward, up, back, then up... Lots more time for heat transfer.
Plus I like to think that it helps keep the cat warmer than if the bypass were open... So that when the fire is restarted, the cat can be engaged quicker.

Hass, you have it right.

I burned a couple VC's with CATS for 20 years and always left them closed on burn down. It never caused a CAT problem.
I figured that opening it would increase the draw on the stove and suck heat out of the room, through the stove.
That's my two cents...

Now I have the stove with the secondaries but I use a flue pipe damper to hold the air back in it. This lets me leave the primary open a bit more and get a better/hotter burn with more "northern lights". It has also slowed my wood consumption down by a cord or so a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.