Keep pellet stove or revert to fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrjohneel

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2011
Suburban Boston
Hello:
This forum was invaluable in helping me set up, use and maintain my Harman P35 insert pellet stove. Thank you again. However, a few years ago I converted my house's oil system to natural gas and have been heating exclusively with that. It has been noticeably cheaper for me and requires a lot less maintenance/clean up. I plan to be in my house for at least 7 or 8 more years. So here's the question: should I yank out the Harman, sell it, and enjoy the romance/fun of a wood burning fireplace? (I'd get a draft blocker for when I'm not using it.) Or should I keep the Harman as an alternative source of energy and as a hedge for when the apocalypse occurs and gas prices goes through the roof? (I'm also concerned about the environmental issues in using gas.) There's no right answer but I'd be interested in hearing opinions. Again, the only advantage to having a fireplace is that it's just pleasant. The P35 is attractive and looks good in my living room. What do you think?

I'm a stove newbie, but personally, I'd hang onto the insert. I have no justification for that, other than I think I've fallen in love with pellet stoves. I have no idea whether it's the wisest or most practical course to take.

OK, you are posting a question like that on a pellet site? I have a feeling that you are going to get slightly biased opinions.

The question you ask is your personal preference
For the romance/fun a fire in the fire place is nice
for heat the pellet stove hands down
It is you discussion what do you want ?

How much?