Keeping track of pounds of wood burned to measure use?

mar13 Posted By mar13, Mar 23, 2019 at 11:30 PM

1. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    I would love it if a cat wasn’t needed. Would save me some bucks every few years. Unfortunately, the noncat stoves currently don’t offer the same range of outputs.

If your furnace’s control scheme was available in a noncat stove do you think it would sell well? I do. Instead, they’re spending r&d bucks on less helpful things.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Some say that we geeks invented the internet because of DARPA funding; I put it to you that our secret agenda was to one day have forums where we could publicly pore over minutiae without getting out of our chairs....

SpaceBus, bholler and BrotherBart like this.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Having been right there with you in those days, we did that with UseNet. My fear was when the world got in the game with the World Wide Web it would be a worldwide cat fight just like UseNet was. It happened. Social media. ;lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    bholler likes this.
  4. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    My newsreader was too slow to be of much use for discussion.

Because my downlink was completely saturated by alt.binaries at all times.

I do remember wondering what the point of http was supposed to be when we already had gopher...

And just think, all this innovation led us to a magical new world where a company could come up with an idea so bad that it sounds like a very sarcastic product pitch ("Let's make a platform where everyone has to talk in tiny little quips because nuance is scary and confusing."), give their product a derogatory name, and go on to be a billionaire tech firm running one of the most popular sites out there without changing a thing.

Tech changes faster than people do, I guess.

bholler and BrotherBart like this.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ah the memories. 19.2K modems.

Sorry to lapse the thread into old home week.

6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    You won't be going pre-1980 then? My BIL's 1980 VC Resolute has a thermostat. ==c
    Yes, very hard indeed. ;)

SpaceBus likes this.
  7. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    You may like this link and the few embedded links then :) The WWW just turned 30 a couple weeks ago.

https://home.cern/science/computing/birth-web

8. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Wow your old lol.

BrotherBart likes this.
  9. spudman99

spudman99
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Yardley, PA
    He probably still uses these for file storage
    floppy8 (2).jpg

Its an 8" floppy that holds ........ 500k of data..... !!

10. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    The original single-density 5.25" disks were 90k (180 if you had a hole punch handy). Those drives hit the market the same year (1976) as the enormous new 500k 8" drive.