Keeping track of pounds of wood burned to measure use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There are quite a few of us though who don't want to deal with the idiosyncrasies of a cat. Personally, I'd much rather burn the wood cleanly from the get go instead of relying on a consumable cat to clean up the mess of an incomplete burn.

I would love it if a cat wasn’t needed. Would save me some bucks every few years. Unfortunately, the noncat stoves currently don’t offer the same range of outputs.

If your furnace’s control scheme was available in a noncat stove do you think it would sell well? I do. Instead, they’re spending r&d bucks on less helpful things.

Last edited:
Some say that we geeks invented the internet because of DARPA funding; I put it to you that our secret agenda was to one day have forums where we could publicly pore over minutiae without getting out of our chairs....

Having been right there with you in those days, we did that with UseNet. My fear was when the world got in the game with the World Wide Web it would be a worldwide cat fight just like UseNet was. It happened. Social media. ;lol

Reactions: bholler
Having been right there with you in those days, we did that with UseNet. My fear was when the world got in the game with the World Wide Web it would be a worldwide cat fight just like UseNet was. It happened. ;lol

My newsreader was too slow to be of much use for discussion.

Because my downlink was completely saturated by alt.binaries at all times.

I do remember wondering what the point of http was supposed to be when we already had gopher...

And just think, all this innovation led us to a magical new world where a company could come up with an idea so bad that it sounds like a very sarcastic product pitch ("Let's make a platform where everyone has to talk in tiny little quips because nuance is scary and confusing."), give their product a derogatory name, and go on to be a billionaire tech firm running one of the most popular sites out there without changing a thing.

Tech changes faster than people do, I guess.

Last edited:
My newsreader was too slow to be of much use for discussion.

Ah the memories. 19.2K modems.

Sorry to lapse the thread into old home week.

Reactions: SpaceBus
He probably still uses these for file storage
floppy8 (2).jpg

Its an 8" floppy that holds ........ 500k of data..... !!