Key Hole Fire Pit Measurements - Scotty's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeB

Feeling the Heat
Apr 26, 2012
Foot Hills of the Berkshires
Have been saving this for awhile and hope to make this soon. Wondering If I should line the base with some firebrick or just use the earth? We have some stone that has been laying around for years - believe it came from an old stone wall in the woods and dumped here by the previous owner. I hear you have to be careful about using river rock as they could explode if stone retained any water - certainly don't want any exploding rocks. Thought I would share Scotty's sketch for others - he previously posted it.

Attachments

• firepit measurements.png
    firepit measurements.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 21,132
Stealing Scotty's pit plans;), he is a great guy maybe he will head over and build it for you:cool:
Awe, shucks fellas. Thanks for the kind words...

Diane, I used just plain ol' earth for the floor of the pit. You want to dig down around a foot deep, and building the walls of the pit out of fieldstone will be fine.....keep in mind that the dimensions I have in that drawing are the INSIDE dimensions. You will have to make it bigger than that to allow for the space that your rock will sit in. Keep me posted with some pictures. I just now found this thread or I would have chimed in earlier! I can't wait to see it!

here's a pic of mine, just to keep you motivated!!

2012-05-19_18-37-12_208.jpg

Reactions: Defiant
What is the purpose of the keyhole shape?

The end with the square is roughly 18X18 so you could use an oven rack or something else to make a grill over that section. Cook your food on the grill section and have a nice bon fire in the round section.

Very good, Thanks!

What is the purpose of the keyhole shape?

Don, Diane hit the nail on the head. What's really nice about the keyhole design is that you can build a fire, after a half hour or so you can pull a pile of coals over to the squared end, throw on some applewood slivers and get to cooking right away......
Since I built this firepit, I've given my grill away (haven't used a gas grille in over a decade). This is my second keyhole pit (this one was built in April 2011, the rocks had gotten bad in the old one from so much use).....

2012-06-16_20-27-21_737.jpg 2012-05-12_18-56-48_258.jpg 2012-08-02_18-53-29_194.jpg 2013-05-18_19-05-58_717.jpg 2013-02-18_19-58-08_763.jpg

We do wings, burgers, chicken, shrimp, fish, pork chops, steaks.....you name it. And the flavor can't be beat. I make one HELL of a mean smoked steak!

I can't wait to get back home this Saturday, been on a job for a week now and can't get creative on this iPad.

Reactions: ScotO
That's on my list to build here shortly after moving in the new house

What is this new pit to be used for? Reason I ask is, I made mine much bigger, as I'm often using it for burning downed branches (lots of trees in my yard) and other yard waste. I'd go for at least 60" diameter, or more, if used for anything beyond cooking.

Reactions: zap
What is this new pit to be used for? Reason I ask is, I made mine much bigger, as I'm often using it for burning downed branches (lots of trees in my yard) and other yard waste. I'd go for at least 60" diameter, or more, if used for anything beyond cooking.
We always had two fire pits for that reason. One to burn brush and the other for our enjoyment fires

Not sure if anyone is interested but I have read good reviews about the Grizzly rotisserie.

OMGosh. I am going to have to borrow that brick design. I have been trying to figure out how I would get a grate in a sorta mini brick oven.

Any concerns with the platings on that chrome-shelving-unit-turned-grill-grate flaking or giving off bad mojo when heated?
I think, as long as it doesn't get RED HOT, he should be OK. It takes some pretty hi-temps for that stuff to outgas.
I built my grilles out of 3-16 stainless rod.....they hold up great and will never rust.

A cast iron grill grate is pretty cheap. They can be bought online or at a big box hardware store. I have checked it out recently.

What about using the grills from disposed of kitchen ovens? I was planning on asking my local appliance store if they could keep some for me as they deliver new and take away the old.

What about using the grills from disposed of kitchen ovens? I was planning on asking my local appliance store if they could keep some for me as they deliver new and take away the old.
I think you'd be OK if you didn't get the grill red-hot. That chrome coating, when put up to extreme temperatures, can 'outgas' some nasty stuff. I'd be looking either for a cast iron grille or a stainless grille...

Did a little searching on the 'net this morning and found this one at Lowe's, I'm sure there are others out there......

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201757-33120-52101_4294703243__

Reactions: hobbyheater
Status
Not open for further replies.