Keystoker Coal Boiler Domestic Hotwater Quick Question/

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny1720

Burning Hunk
Mar 6, 2007
The Great North East
My neighbor is in the process of hooking up a used Keystoker Coal Fired Hot Water Boiler. He got the thing working after doing a bunch of research on this site. My question is this, when filling the supply and return lines with water should water come out of the domestic coil? While we were filling the lines water started coming out of the domestic coil supply and return. He currently does not have the domestic coil plumbed we just installed valves and turned them off.

Is that normal or is his coil shot?

No, it shouldn't. The domestic coil is just that....a coil inside the boiler water cavity. If he wants to use the domestic coil he's going to need to install a new one. If not, I suggest pulling the leaky one out and cap of the boiler.

If he has both the input and output capped will it do any harm to just leave it that way?

No, you can leave it capped off and it should be fine.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the coil out and take a look at it, maybe it froze and burst and can be soldered up.

I have no experience with boiler coils, but LOTS of experience with fixing frozen copper.

If time permits, it would be fun to pull the coil and inspect it.
It can probably be repaired if it is not corroded. Make sure you have a new gasket or gasket material and/or Permatex.

Status
Not open for further replies.