Kinda proud of this and thought I would share

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
This is a window in my kitchen that I had to size down so that I could have more counter top space. If it was a normal window it would look at my neighbors house and that didn't interest me. So I made one out of wind bottle bottoms and concrete.

Attachments

• Photo-0437.JPG
    Photo-0437.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 655
  • Photo-0449.JPG
    Photo-0449.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 645
  • Photo-0514.jpg
    Photo-0514.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 636
That's cool, psychedelic! Reminds me of Fred Smith's old place, about 150 miles north of me. He made statues out of concrete and pieces of beer bottles from his tavern.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2251

Planeweird said:
Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun to make. I have no idea what the R value is though. It's 4" thick though and about 300lbs.

Hate to say it, but while it looks great, and is a nice creative project, the R-value is probably pretty low from the description... Concrete without any insulation in it has a pretty low R-value, and since the wine bottle bottoms are single pane in effect, that will also be a very low R... Probably better than a single pane window, but not as good as a modern high tech window or a solid wall.

Purely from a theory standpoint, what would have given a higher R-value might have been to do something like pouring a 1" layer of concrete with the bottles in place, fitting a layer of foam insulation around the bottles and then pouring another inch layer of concrete (possibly w/ some sort of wire reinforcing mesh in each pour) and cutting the bottles off flush with the top. Possibly fill the bottles with some of that clear thermo-set resin to give better insulation on the bottle glass without reducing it's transparency... If you did 2" foam, the result would probably have an overall R-value closer to a modern window, possibly even better.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Planeweird said:
Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun to make. I have no idea what the R value is though. It's 4" thick though and about 300lbs.

Hate to say it, but while it looks great, and is a nice creative project, the R-value is probably pretty low from the description... Concrete without any insulation in it has a pretty low R-value, and since the wine bottle bottoms are single pane in effect, that will also be a very low R... Probably better than a single pane window, but not as good as a modern high tech window or a solid wall.

Purely from a theory standpoint, what would have given a higher R-value might have been to do something like pouring a 1" layer of concrete with the bottles in place, fitting a layer of foam insulation around the bottles and then pouring another inch layer of concrete (possibly w/ some sort of wire reinforcing mesh in each pour) and cutting the bottles off flush with the top. Possibly fill the bottles with some of that clear thermo-set resin to give better insulation on the bottle glass without reducing it's transparency... If you did 2" foam, the result would probably have an overall R-value closer to a modern window, possibly even better.

Gooserider

Well, the house has tons of single pane windows, so I wasn't worried about making one of 30 or so windows very efficient. But to answer your question, the concrete has an R value of 0.38 and the areas that are made up of wine bottles have an R value of 2.0.

As I said, it is a neat looking project, and I didn't intend any negative criticism about it... I was just looking at it and saying what I saw from the current construction, and trying to think of a way to make it more efficient as a mental exercise... In some cases though, it is perfectly OK to decide that looks are more important than energy savings...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
As I said, it is a neat looking project, and I didn't intend any negative criticism about it... I was just looking at it and saying what I saw from the current construction, and trying to think of a way to make it more efficient as a mental exercise... In some cases though, it is perfectly OK to decide that looks are more important than energy savings...

Gooserider

Oh I take it as a criticism and thanks:)

Reminds me of an entire house I saw constructed that way, still standing in the ghost town of Rhyolite, NV.

can't find any good links, but worth googling "Rhyolite Bottle House"

Planeweird said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Oh I take it as a criticism and thanks:)

I meant I DONT take it as a criticism. Geez, I need to proof read before posting:)

Might have some solar advantages to negate or even the lack of thickness.
Many Earth homes use glass bottles and they tout how green & efficient they are.

Hogwildz said:
Many Earth homes use glass bottles and they tout how green & efficient they are.

well, now I can tell my wife that my plan all along was to reduce the cost of building our new home through the over-consumption of beer and wine. Better switch quick from cans to bottles though or she'll think I'm a bigger moron than she already does.

dvellone said:
Hogwildz said:

well, now I can tell my wife that my plan all along was to reduce the cost of building our new home through the over-consumption of beer and wine. Better switch quick from cans to bottles though or she'll think I'm a bigger moron than she already does.

I hear ya. That window took over a 120 bottles to make, and yes, we drank most of them:)

Planeweird said:
dvellone said:
Hogwildz said:

I hear ya. That window took over a 120 bottles to make, and yes, we drank most of them:)

They do also use cans in Earth homes. Tires, cans, bottles, mud, straw.
Some are really cool. Nice work!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.