Kindling splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
As usually this year I split a big box of scrap 2X material for fire starting kindling. I do it with a hatchet. It's fast, holding the wood with a leather glove and swinging away, the chunks fly. The issue is it's hard to get it a small as I would like. This year I went back over the chunks and split them in the 1 1/2 direction.

Do you guys know of a kindling maker machine, or a device to use on the splitter.

As usually this year I split a big box of scrap 2X material for fire starting kindling. I do it with a hatchet. It's fast, holding the wood with a leather glove and swinging away, the chunks fly. The issue is it's hard to get it a small as I would like. This year I went back over the chunks and split them in the 1 1/2 direction.

Do you guys know of a kindling maker machine, or a device to use on the splitter.
Try to find someone tearing down an old house and get the lathe boards .They will gladly give them to you. They are very dry pine and split easy but make great fire starters even whole.

I'm the same, I use my job site scraps for kindling. The 2x scraps I split down using the maul, I hold it just under the head and let the weight do the work. The kindling is usually scrap strapping or rough spruce, I can get finer kindling pieces from this stuff

When i am starting from cold, I will usually find a split with pretty straight grain and just keep splitting in until it won't stand up on the chopping block anymore then I pick up all my little toothpicks and I have kindling...

Also when i am doing a big splitting job and accumulate some small pieces under the splitter I will gather them up when I am done and put them in a box for winter. They are so small they dry very fast (no three year rule here) and I can use those to get my fires going too.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
watch craigslist for an old cedar or pine fence, I have enough for the next few years... just knock it apart with a sledge, and sawzall to length.

I'm sure you've probably considered them already, but I can split anything I have as small as I want with my electric splitter (Homelite 5 ton).

Reactions: MDFisherman
eha4arej.jpg

Don't use kindling , 1/3 of this get fire going every time

Reactions: pen
I bought a box of firestarters from WAll -mart in the off season for a couple bucks. They look like a thin candy bars. Only need a small piece to start a fire. Comes out to a few pennies a light. Well worth it. that box is already 3 years old and i only used a quarter of it so far.

In theory, that's what my little electric splitter could be used for in the indoor comfort of my garage. In practice however, if there aren't enough coals, I use the Rutlands fire starter squares.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2biker
In theory, that's what my little electric splitter could be used for in the indoor comfort of my garage.
That's just what I did all last winter. It worked out great and left very little mess. Reminds me that I need to get it in now.

As usually this year I split a big box of scrap 2X material for fire starting kindling. I do it with a hatchet. It's fast, holding the wood with a leather glove and swinging away, the chunks fly. The issue is it's hard to get it a small as I would like. This year I went back over the chunks and split them in the 1 1/2 direction...

Question: How small are you guys making your kindling? What is a good size?

Are we talking as small as a pencil or the size of a paint stirring stick? Or even much bigger?

If you can imagine the size of a 2X4 split into quarters that seems like a nice size to me.

Question: How small are you guys making your kindling? What is a good size?

Are we talking as small as a pencil or the size of a paint stirring stick? Or even much bigger?

It's not hard with a hatchet to loop of chunks about 1 inch, until you hit a knot. They work ok, but smaller slivers would work much better and not waste as much kindling wood. I use a fire starter to light the kindling but if it's thin enough I think it could be match started.

I've seen store kindling about 1/2 x 1/2. that stuff must be sawed.

I use a hatchet also, but....I have the hatchet in contact with the wood and raise both a few inches....then down to a block.

Might take a second strike for the wood to split, but my fingers aren't holding the wood.

Reactions: midwestcoast

This is definitely not what you are looking for, but the above video shows (briefly) a safer way to split kindling.

Cory

Wow, what a gorgeous video. Thanks for posting it.

That's also a very interesting way to split kindling -- I'll have to figure out some way to try that.

Just had a idea, anyone use a power planer? Do you get a continuous strip of wood like you can with a hand plane?

Thanks for the video, he is definitely a craftsman, I prefer, Using the fiskars hatchet, take 1 split and get 100 pieces of kindling out of it......or so

I Just run a bunch of stuff like willow ,cotton, popple, ect. wood through one on my big bandsaws. Too much trouble messing with that stuff on a splitter to get kindling. I just use the splitter to bust down the rounds of that stuff. Also most of that stuff goes to the outdoor campfire ( or whatever), or to others who want stuff for their od burning. I do collect all the notable chips, odds and end from splitter as well.

Wow, what a gorgeous video. Thanks for posting it.

That's also a very interesting way to split kindling -- I'll have to figure out some way to try that.

Good video. Thanks for posting.

This splitting technique can be done quite simply at home. First take your hatchet or preferred splitting tool and put in vice with pointy end up. Second hold block of wood on top of hatchet and tap the block of wood with a good sized hammer. Split, split, split and repeat.

Making kindling wood with a hydraulic splitter really makes the job easy and it goes super fast too. Many years ago I posted pictures of some I was working on but one of these days I'll be posting a video when we make some kindling. You'll see how quick and easy it is and won't want to go back to hatchet or axe.

Making kindling wood with a hydraulic splitter really makes the job easy and it goes super fast too. Many years ago I posted pictures of some I was working on but one of these days I'll be posting a video when we make some kindling. You'll see how quick and easy it is and won't want to go back to hatchet or axe.
+1. I just put mine (small 5 ton electric) in a corner of the garage for the winter. It's always plugged in and I can go out there anytime and split down stuff inside whenever I want to in minutes. It's all I need for for the main splitting too, although I don't do huge stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.