King 5502M error 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

richny

Feb 18, 2017
maryland
Hi, just bought a used King 5502M pellet stove for what I thought was a deal. It's still in the back of my truck and wanted to test it before taking it in and installing it. When I plug it in the blower exhaust fan and air intake fan run but the readout shows an error 1 and the off light blinks. Is this a bad circuit board?

Error code #1 is the high limit switch has tripped, various causes to include inadequate venting ( restriction etc). Did you have any venting and or was the vent port taped over or some such thing ?

You can download the PDF online and probably also from US Stove. It gives all the codes and reasons. I don't own the King but just did a search and found the PDF in about 1 minute of searching fwiw.

Edit: oops, I see someone already replied !

Thanks for the quick reply's. No there is no venting hooked up, just sitting in the back of my truck to test it out first. I took off the side panel where the controller is and didn't see a limit switch. Tried to trace the wires to find it (as that's what I thought it was) and from what I see they go to either ground, fan motors, hopper lid switch and the pressure switch. Which side is it on?

Code 1
The high limit temperature sensor
has tripped
Open it up remove side panel switch on
side of fire box RED button hold down
hear click good to go
Before you install the unit get a manual
(internet search) and do a real good cleaning
and check everything Do a test burn outside
Manual here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2...-Ashley-Pellet-Stove-5500.html?page=18#manual
Welcome to the forum
Hi, which side is the switch located? I can't seem to find it or any wires that run to anything other than the fan motors, auger, pressure switch and hopper lid switch. Downloaded a manual and don't see one listed there as well.

Traced all the wires, there's not many, and can find no limit switch. Jumped both the pressure switch and hopper lid switch, nothing. One thing I didn't mention is as soon as I plug the unit in it starts by itself without me pushing the on button. Let it run for a half hour and never shut down.

You need one of the USSC/King gurus to chime in .

Troubleshooting help here with technical manuals in the second post. The test procedures let you go through each component to check that they are working as they should. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ussc-troubleshooting.158667/

Pay close attention to the cleaning thread that FirepotPete posted ... especially behind the knock out plugs on the back wall of the firebox. Clean it up outside before you move it in.

Interesting that the manual mentions high limit but I think the thermistor is what keeps tabs on the temps and would cause the shut down. Wiring schematic on page 24 of the second manual posted...

I join st bought my third 5502m and I installed it in my basement and I'm getting an error 6 code and need to know how to bypass this until the new ignitior comes in so I have heat in my basement. I live in New York and need an answer fast

I join st bought my third 5502m and I installed it in my basement and I'm getting an error 6 code and need to know how to bypass this until the new ignitior comes in so I have heat in my basement. I live in New York and need an answer fast
Put the stove in manual and light it with gel or a propane torch and when it reaches operating temp move it back to AUTO.

I have pushed the manual/auto button and it will not switch. What are the proper steps to do this
What control board do you have? Look above to the USSC trouble shooting tips and find your stove and the correct board, there will be instructions on using the board and changing the settings. If you have the manual for the stove it should be in there also. Without knowing which board you have I cannot answer your question.

This is a picture of the control board of my stove upstairs that works fine. Owners manual doesn't tell you how to switch modes just tells you what the different modes are

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 599
This is a picture of the control board of my stove upstairs that works fine. Owners manual doesn't tell you how to switch modes just tells you what the different modes are
Bottom button on the right, "MODE". There are two lights, one above says AUTO the bottom one says MANUAL, push the MODE button until the bottom light (MANUAL) is lit, the stove is then in manual mode and you should be able to run it.