King 5502m

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chesh1

Feb 9, 2017
Maine
we just bought this house and has two pellet stoves. They both worked great since November then the other night I turned it off and went to turn it back on the next day and USSC comes up. I called the company and they said to hold down the up and down button farthest to the right which I did and I get three lines. They said that should reset to factory mode but nothing. Just seems weird that the control board would be junk if it is at least giving a code of USSC has anyone encountered this problem? It is like almost 600 bucks to replace this. If it is I guess we will be cold here in Maine for a while. If it is the problem does anyone have a spare they would like to sell at a little affordable price? Opinions? Help?

A few questions.

First are the stoves plugged into a surge protector? If not get two for your stoves, it's cheaper to buy those than to replace control boards.

What board do you have in that stove? Is it a three button A-B-C board, or does it have four buttons on the bottom, ON-OFF-AUGER-MODE?

Have you tried unplugging the stove for 10-15 minutes and then trying to start it again?

A few questions.

First are the stoves plugged into a surge protector? If not get two for your stoves, it's cheaper to buy those than to replace control boards.

What board do you have in that stove? Is it a three button A-B-C board, or does it have four buttons on the bottom, ON-OFF-AUGER-MODE?

Have you tried unplugging the stove for 10-15 minutes and then trying to start it again?
Hi Firepotpete

Thanks for responding. Yes I have them both on surge protectors. It is the four button with the on/off auger mode. We unplugged for the day and went and tried again and still get either three lines or two lines but no error code. We first tried holding the auger up and down at the same time and it was suppose to put it back to the factory settings which it did not. Then we tried holding down the off and the farthest button to the right ( I can't remember what it's called as I am not sitting in front of it right now but farthest to the right) anyway that gave us two lines. Depending on which two I seem to choose lines will either go horizontally or vertically but either way no code just lines. But every time we plug it in it comes up with USSC. I'm afraid I may have a bad board but I am hoping not. :(

Have you tried the factory trouble shooting test for the board? You will find it here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ussc-troubleshooting.158667/

It's the first entry on that page. If the board doesn't respond then the board is probably bad. When you reapply power to the stove, not turning it on, just plugging it back in, the board should flash USSC and then a version number like, v-2.4 should flash, that's the firmware version. If it's not doing that then it's not reading the firmware to run the board. Could be a bad chip on the board but I've never heard of anyone repairing them and able to get the firmware reinstalled, perhaps someone else knows.