King40 cat bypass question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SterlingSL

Hearth Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
How critical is it to bypass cat when temp lowers to 'inactive' range? I regularly leave and get home hours later and stove has cooled down. Wondering if I should bypass if I know I will be gone a long tim

There’s no reason to open the bypass once the temp dives below active. The fire is down to coals at that point and the cat has no work to do. Don’t leave the stove with the bypass open, it can overfire.

Last edited:
Reactions: SterlingSL
How critical is it to bypass cat when temp lowers to 'inactive' range? I regularly leave and get home hours later and stove has cooled down. Wondering if I should bypass if I know I will be gone a long tim
When I get to that stage I usually disengage the cat and rake the coals into a pile in front where the air can get them, burns a little hotter for a while before I put in my next load.