klunker or lunker??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinw

Jan 16, 2011
Northfield, NH
Hello,
I saw a post the other day, of course I cant find it now - I think it was about how complete the pellets burn and they were talking about klunkers or lunkers?? Not sure of the term. What is it all about? I ask because I usually have nothing but ash in my stove but today there was a big chunk of something in there. Any thoughts? Should I be concerned?

What you "might" have is a clinker. Clorides withing the fiber makeup fuse(melt) together during the burn process. They are pretty hard and hold together. If its a lump that you can break apart pretty easy(basically just crumbles in your hands) that could be pellets that haven't been fully burned. Usually caused by newly dumped pellets smothering the not quite fully burned all the way pellets in the burnpot. Increasing the feed air or decreasing auger trim(if your stove has it) usually works for both issues. I have a hard time explaining these things, Hope I made it understandable.

Have you done anything different with the stove or changed pellet brands?

My stove doesnt have either of those adjustments that I know of. What I took out of the stove was hard as a brick. I did put a new auger motor in the stove yesterday

What stove do you own? Your old auger motor could have been stahling and the new motor is feeding more fuel into the burnpot.

Most of use put the stove model we own in our signature so people can see what we have. Just makes it easier when having issues or asking for info. :)

That's an aewsome idea ! I have an Englander PDV25

Kevin, your stove has an adjustment that may increase the airflow through the burnpot a little....might take care of that clinker problem.

Press the bottom 3 buttons on your stove one at a time, and report what numbers show up (from left to right).

6 4 1

imacman said:
Kevin, your stove has an adjustment that may increase the airflow through the burnpot a little....might take care of that clinker problem.

Press the bottom 3 buttons on your stove one at a time, and report what numbers show up.

Thanks for stepping in imacman. I still haven't tinkered with the Englanders yet. Kevin, imacman will help you sort this out. :)

Increase the middle one (LBA or Low Burn Air) to 5. That should send a little more air through the burn pot.

Thanks! I will give it a whirl. Do you know if that can be done while it's running?

Yes, well I do now that I looked it up.......
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.