Knube with Summers Heat 55-SPH10L

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hiskid73

Sep 26, 2008
Hershey
Hello All...I just installed a Summers heat 55SPH10L. I vented it into an existing chimney and wanted to centered so I went from the exhaust blower right into an ell to a tee and vertical to two 90's and straight up...I fired it up and as soon as it lit I smelled smoke... I called Englander tech support and he asked how I had it connected and as soon as I said straight into the ell, he said I am getting blowback from the back pressure out the ehaust fan and need to get the 3" starter pipe. Does this sound like he is correct? Does that 3" piece really make that much of a differanceAnybody else go in a ell right off?

How long does it take for the paint smell to leave? I had it running for 3/4 hours so far. Also I covered the Selkirk pipe with black hi temp grill paint and it got sticky when it was hot and still has an odor also...Will all the odor go away after so long? Thanks for all the help...God Bless You..K

DSC00003MediumSmall.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00001 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    DSC00001 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 506
  • DSC00002 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    DSC00002 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 506
I can't quote on the venting, but I'm sure others more qualified than I will.

As for the smell, mine smoked for about 6 hours until all of the oils burned off. It will stop, and you'll enjoy your stove.

Those guys in tech are pretty good at what they do. I suspect he's right. The exhaust blower on these stoves is pretty stout. The first bend is so close to the blower that it's causing a problem when the air hits the restriction full force. Any distance you can put between the blower and the first bend will likely help alot.

The burn in is pretty bad, huh? lol The smell and the smoke will go away but you may have added to it by painting the vent pipe. Just let her cook for a while but open some doors and windows. :shut:

natnyer said:
Thats quite a plumbing job you did on the exhaust. No wonder it doesn't vent.Straightin it out you will be fine.
It looks like there's a 270 degree overall change in the direction when you add up all the ells, 45s and the Tee behind the stove. That's assuming it goes straight out the roof - if there's a 90 there, he's pushing 360 which is over the limit for almost any stove. It should also be 4" pipe because there's 17 feet of effective vent length without counting the straight sections at all.

After the two 45's it's straight up 6 more feet. With the thimble already in and the stove base 7.5 inches to the edge of the floor plate, I have to stay in a certain perimeter..I just ordered a stove connector and a 6 inch straight...I am going to try to go from the stove connectoer into the tee then extend the stretch between the 45's...Thanks...K

P.S. Just got a call and found my homeowners just cost $35 more for the stove and the agent said it looked like a professional install...

DiggerJim said:
natnyer said:
Thats quite a plumbing job you did on the exhaust. No wonder it doesn't vent.Straightin it out you will be fine.
It looks like there's a 270 degree overall change in the direction when you add up all the ells, 45s and the Tee behind the stove. That's assuming it goes straight out the roof - if there's a 90 there, he's pushing 360 which is over the limit for almost any stove. It should also be 4" pipe because there's 17 feet of effective vent length without counting the straight sections at all.

I'm with Digger. This install is over 20 on the EVL. Probably close to 25 when it finially exits the house. This install should have 4" pipe. You should be able to easily sell your 3" to cut your losses. Good luck.

They recommend after 15 feet of rise to increase to 4"....BUT....running all 4", with the 2 90's out of the stove "might"...help the smoking problem...

try using a pellet pipe adapter first, then the clean out tee/pipe

Smudge88 said:
They recommend after 15 feet of rise to increase to 4"....BUT....running all 4", with the 2 90's out of the stove "might"...help the smoking problem...

Yeah, good point. Maybe come off the adapter with a 45, then go to the T. Saves 2 points on the EVL :) I still think it should be all 4" though.

I ordered a stove connector and a 6" piece to spread the 45"s...I have a two ft section up in the ceiling I am going to use inside..My plan is to go from the stove connector into the tee then up two ft into one 45 then the 6" piece to the other 45 to line me up with the ceiling thimble. Then 6 ft. straight up. I seen plenty installs on websites with this setup into previous woood stove thimbles....Thanks...God Bless You..K

Status
Not open for further replies.