Kodiak wood burning stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary's Kodiac stove

Nov 21, 2016
coplay, pa
I have an old 1980's Kodiac wood burning stove that I purchased used 25 years ago. I have never used it but would like to get it into working condition in case I need it.
My problem is , what kind of a gasket do I use? It has a 3/4" channel. I purchased a 3/4 rope gasket and installed it, but my doors won't close at the front. It appears that the gasket at the back won't compress enough to allow them to close.
I don't have a manual for this stove, so I don't know if I purchased the right kind of gasket or not.
Could someone please advise me?

I have an old 1980's Kodiac wood burning stove that I purchased used 25 years ago. I have never used it but would like to get it into working condition in case I need it.
My problem is , what kind of a gasket do I use? It has a 3/4" channel. I purchased a 3/4 rope gasket and installed it, but my doors won't close at the front. It appears that the gasket at the back won't compress enough to allow them to close.
I don't have a manual for this stove, so I don't know if I purchased the right kind of gasket or not.
Could someone please advise me?
Probably didn't use one at all. Just make sure the doors line up and close properly. If a gasket is needed I would think a flat one cemented in place would be best.

Probably didn't use one at all. Just make sure the doors line up and close properly. If a gasket is needed I would think a flat one cemented in place would be best.
It had one when I bought it second hand 20 years ago. It was worn out so I removed it. As it turned out I never used the stove and didn't keep the old gasket.

My dad's Kodiak current my has no gasket and is controllable with his current set up. He hasn't replaced the gasket he took out a few years ago as a result. Your results may vary with your draft though, he has an oversized outside masonry chimney.

Reactions: Metalmantma
Does your dad use a grate or does he build his fire on the bottom of the stove?
You should never use a grate in a wood stove it will severly reduce your burn times and can increase the risk of over firing. As far as the gaskets go some of the earlier kodiaks never had any gasket at all. I have gotten away with flat tape gasket on some of them but others are too tight. They were pretty inconsistent

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, as bholler said, no grate. Just build the fire on the floor of the stove. some decent length burns can be had if you play a bit of Tetris with the wood and pack it tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.