kozy heat gas fireplace opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the recall on Kozy stoves because they may blow up. I looked on "Kozy Fireplace Reviews" and saw an April 4, 2014 notice of the recall. The Thief River Fall, the Princeton, Dassel, Mendota and others I did not know they made are being recalled. 16,000 units in USA and 2,291 units in Canada bought between 2009 - 2013 for $1450 and $3325. This has made me not want to buy from Kozy, which I had been contemplating. I had been looking at the Princeton and Mantle Surround for my living room, but not after reading the article on the recall. These units were manufactures by Hussong Industries in Mass.

This may be a little late for your decision but I was searching for some info on cleaning or retouching the paint in the back of our Kozy Heat and saw this. We have had our Kozy Heat Dassel for 2 1/2 years and it has worked problem free and does exactly what we want it to.

There was a recall with the ignitor which we received notification of.
Our retailer here in Livermore sent two fellas out and they replaced it in a half hour tops.

I would buy another. It is made well, shows no failures or faults and has what we felt was one of the most realistic log set and nice flames. It was installed by a general contractor when he built the new structure for it. He had installed fireplaces of various types and he has installed Kozy Heats before. He had no negative comments about it and I recall the instructions were clear and accurate. The only "issue" I have is the inside has started to show some discoloration. I haven't had the door off for a while so I don't know if I will be able to just clean it up or if it needs painting. Will see..

I just read the recall on Kozy stoves because they may blow up. I looked on "Kozy Fireplace Reviews" and saw an April 4, 2014 notice of the recall. The Thief River Fall, the Princeton, Dassel, Mendota and others I did not know they made are being recalled. 16,000 units in USA and 2,291 units in Canada bought between 2009 - 2013 for $1450 and $3325. This has made me not want to buy from Kozy, which I had been contemplating. I had been looking at the Princeton and Mantle Surround for my living room, but not after reading the article on the recall. These units were manufactures by Hussong Industries in Mass.

Whoa! Hold up there cowboy. Kozy DOES NOT make Mendota. Mendota has NO recalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.