Calling all fireplace experts! I would so appreciate some feedback.
I have a Mendota FV34 Décor direct-vent gas fireplace with a Koni brick veneer surround and a concrete mantel. The joint between the veneer and concrete mantel is irregular and runs from less than a .25 of an inch to a .33 of an inch wide. This joint was previously sealed by my contractor with DAP Alex Plus, which cracked.
On my own, I decided to remove the sealant because 1) it cracked and looked ugly and 2) I realized the DAP Alex Plus is not suitable for high temperatures.
Mendota’s installation instructions call for a heat-resistant polyurethane sealant in this area that can tolerate prolonged elevated temperatures. According to Mendota, the brick around my gas fireplace could reach up to 350 degrees. I’m looking for a white sealant that can accomodate those heat levels and preferably, not crack again! The brick is white, hence the desire to find white high heat sealant.
What would you recommend? I have found high heat sealant but nothing in white. It’s either black, red, or clear. I really want a nice clean line between the brick and mantel but struggling to find the right product. Is high heat caulking even the right path? Any other suggestions?
Picture attached where I show the size of the gap between the mantel and brick. This shows the widest gap but it is smaller in other areas.
THANK YOU!
I have a Mendota FV34 Décor direct-vent gas fireplace with a Koni brick veneer surround and a concrete mantel. The joint between the veneer and concrete mantel is irregular and runs from less than a .25 of an inch to a .33 of an inch wide. This joint was previously sealed by my contractor with DAP Alex Plus, which cracked.
On my own, I decided to remove the sealant because 1) it cracked and looked ugly and 2) I realized the DAP Alex Plus is not suitable for high temperatures.
Mendota’s installation instructions call for a heat-resistant polyurethane sealant in this area that can tolerate prolonged elevated temperatures. According to Mendota, the brick around my gas fireplace could reach up to 350 degrees. I’m looking for a white sealant that can accomodate those heat levels and preferably, not crack again! The brick is white, hence the desire to find white high heat sealant.
What would you recommend? I have found high heat sealant but nothing in white. It’s either black, red, or clear. I really want a nice clean line between the brick and mantel but struggling to find the right product. Is high heat caulking even the right path? Any other suggestions?
Picture attached where I show the size of the gap between the mantel and brick. This shows the widest gap but it is smaller in other areas.
THANK YOU!