Kozy Heat or Flame Monaco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Withoutink

Sep 16, 2015
North Georgia
We have narrowed down our search to either the inexpensive Flame Monaco or the Z42 by Kozy.

Any thoughts one way or another on these two units?

I read a lot of posts, but I think at this point my brain is on overload.

We have a small budget for the ZC as we have to demo out and install a chimney.

Do I have to worry about the short 10yr warranty on the Kozy at all?

Any last thoughts on these units so we can make a final decision?

Thanks in advance.

I've never even laid eyes on a Flame Monaco but I have a Kozy Heat Z42 CD in my living room that is coming up on 5 years of burning... Other than ash cleanout and a small out of routine stuff (door gaskets etc) it's been pretty maintenance free. The door gaskets do seem to be a bit of a weak point. The groove for them isn't very deep so they rely almost entirely on the adhesive/sealant to keep them in place. I've had to redo my gaskets every year. The shield that goes on the front lip of the ceramic shield and fire-bricks that are above the burner tubes does deteriorate over time. This past spring, for the first time in 4 years I did a little more work than the usual ash cleanout. I went to a local fab shop and had a new, heavy-duty stainless "shield" bent up and removed all the fire-bricks to do a full cleanout. Everything seems to be holding up well and I'm confident that it will cruise past the 10 year warranty period without any issues.

I run my Kozy-heat hard, heating a 4,000 SF house 100% with it plus letting some heat spill into the garage when I'm out there working.

A tip: Get the cast door model. It may cost a bit more but I'm glad I did. Because it has such a large door opening but only a 6" flue any time you open it up you will get some smoke spillage, the cast door model gives you a little more versatility on how large of an opening you expose. IE, by only opening 1 door I can contain all the smoke and don't have to worry about spillage except when the draft is particularly bad. I can only imagine that if I had a single door that opened it all the way up it would belch out lots of smoke when the draft is bad.

Reactions: Withoutink
I've never even laid eyes on a Flame Monaco but I have a Kozy Heat Z42 CD in my living room that is coming up on 5 years of burning... Other than ash cleanout and a small out of routine stuff (door gaskets etc) it's been pretty maintenance free. The door gaskets do seem to be a bit of a weak point. The groove for them isn't very deep so they rely almost entirely on the adhesive/sealant to keep them in place. I've had to redo my gaskets every year. The shield that goes on the front lip of the ceramic shield and fire-bricks that are above the burner tubes does deteriorate over time. This past spring, for the first time in 4 years I did a little more work than the usual ash cleanout. I went to a local fab shop and had a new, heavy-duty stainless "shield" bent up and removed all the fire-bricks to do a full cleanout. Everything seems to be holding up well and I'm confident that it will cruise past the 10 year warranty period without any issues.

I run my Kozy-heat hard, heating a 4,000 SF house 100% with it plus letting some heat spill into the garage when I'm out there working.

A tip: Get the cast door model. It may cost a bit more but I'm glad I did. Because it has such a large door opening but only a 6" flue any time you open it up you will get some smoke spillage, the cast door model gives you a little more versatility on how large of an opening you expose. IE, by only opening 1 door I can contain all the smoke and don't have to worry about spillage except when the draft is particularly bad. I can only imagine that if I had a single door that opened it all the way up it would belch out lots of smoke when the draft is bad.

This right here is awesome info....

We have a 4k sq ft home too, on three levels. granted I do not expect any heater to realistically put out that amount of heat across three floors. I would be perfectly happy if it heats the main floor + a tiny bit of residual heat upstairs. Do you force the air anywhere, via forced air kits? Or is this all done simply by you running it hard. I probably wont want to run mine too hard, but it's interesting to know.

Any other helpful hints about the Kozy z42 / cd, I really appreciated the help

Status
Not open for further replies.