Kuma cat burn temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heavy hammer

Minister of Fire
Jul 18, 2015
Kirtland Ohio
I'm on my second year with the replacement cat for my Kuma and I have been noticing a reduction in the cat temps once the bypass is engaged. I used to have temps ranging from 800 to 1000+. Lately I have been more around 700-800. My wood is very dry my chimney flue and cap are clean and the only thing I can come up with is the cat. I spoke with Kuma and they say after 6 months of burning you will see a reduction in cat performance. My last cat lasted 3 years before I needed to replace it. I do burn 24/7 for about 6 months of the year. If I do have to replace the cat it is not the end of the world. Kuma does offer a steel cat now the two I have used in the stove were ceramic. Does any of this sound right or am I doing something wrong.

If you are not seeing any smoke then the cat is still burning it.

Reactions: Indianawood
Once the bypass is engaged and the cat is active there is no smoke. I'm seeing cat temps around 800 tonight. To me it just seems like it is on the lower side of the cat burn temps that is all. Everything else seems to look ok and be burning properly, the wood burns down to a nice small pile of fluff.

How accurate is your cat meter? My last one needed adjustments until I finally replaced it. There is a calibration procedure.

Are you cold? What’s the actual problem?

I would not and do not pay more for steel cats. The ceramics are great.

It is a new cat probe I replaced it the same time I replaced the cat. The heat is still very good I just have noticed a drop off with the cat temps when burning. Just about everything else seems normal. The stove seems to be operating about the same just a slight drop off in the cat temps which in turn seems like the stove could be pumping out a little more heat. When I spoke with Kuma the other day they said this it not uncommon and as long as everything looks clean and I'm still getting good heat just keep and eye on it.

Reactions: Highbeam