Kuuma Vapor Fires in Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

befree

Jun 10, 2014
nova scotia
I was fortunate to have stumbled across hearth.com in 2012 when participating in our province's energy efficiency program. I was very grateful to be able to benefit from the experience of other members with regards to a choice which needed to be made regarding replacing a very inefficient wood fireplace in our living room at the time (went with Osburn's Stratford wood fireplace which we're very happy with).
Our oil furnace is nearing the end of its useful life; oil tank must be changed this year (insurance) due to its age. This, and the ever increasing, and high, cost of furnace oil, had me return to hearth.com where I've discovered the existence of "wood gasification" furnaces. The Kuuma Vapor Fire sounds like the way to go, however, I've looked for, but not found, Canadian members on hearth.com with a Vapor Fire (wanting to see if they have successfully been imported to Canada by another member).
I'd love to know of anyone who was able to successfully import a Vapor Fire; what their experience was with doing that, as well as with the furnace itself.
I have looked at PSG's Caddy\MaxCaddy (because of other members' positive reported experiences with them), however, I'm really interested in the lower reported emissions of the Kuuma.
Any Canadian Kuuma owners out there?

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
http://www.woodheating.ca/

Gord Bullen is an importer in BC , The Kuuma Vapor was once in his product list ,he's a very friendly guy give him a call and I'm sure he would shed some light on the importing side. Also the people at Kuuma Vapor may also be able to help you with this type of information.

(Huffdawg ) is a member on Hearth from BC that imported his own boiler He may also be able to shed some light also on the import process.

Last edited:
It's not a Kuuma - but I ordered my boiler via email from PA, and it showed up in Nova Scotia at the end of my driveway in a transport truck before my bank draft cheque got to PA. The 'only' thing I had to do was make the cheque big enough to cover freight & customs/brokerage - everything else was handled on the other end. Except unloading & installing, that is.

I'd start with a call directly to Kuuma - by all I've read they would only be too happy to talk to you about it.

Kuuma sure sounds like the top-of-the-line way to go in a furnace - but if you hit some kind of obstacle with that, you can also go to your local Home Hardware & order in a Tundra. Might have to be a Building Centre though - not sure about that part.

http://www.woodheating.ca/

Gord Bullen is an importer in BC , The Kuuma Vapor was once in his product list ,he's a very friendly guy give him a call and I'm sure he would shed some light on the importing side. Also the people at Kuuma Vapor may also be able to help you with this type of information.

(Huffdawg ) is a member on Hearth from BC that imported his own boiler He may also be able to shed some light also on the import process.
Thank you so much! I did email Kuuma directly and received back a very prompt reply from Daryl. He was able to provide the name of a broker that many of his Canadian customers have used, which I then contacted, and it seems like the whole process will be very straight forward. Just waiting to receive advice from Daryl's dad re whether he thinks the 100 or 200 would be more appropriate for our home, and they'll also then be able to provide a shipping estimate. Based on what I've read on hearth.com, they're very busy, and with that kind of customer service, it's no wonder why. Also waiting to hear back from our local building official to ensure there's no issues there.....

maple 1 - Too funny that you received your boiler so quickly! I noticed the Tundra when researching wood gasifiers throughout hearth.com. It looks like an excellent unit as well.

I sure have appreciated the wealth of info available on hearth.com. Don't know what I would have done without it as this is all so outside my area of expertise. I should also mention that Don, the (somewhat) local (New Brunswick) Econoburn dealer - Valley Sales - graciously provided the names of a few of his customers in our province. Earlier this week, thanks to him, and to his very accommodating customer, my husband and I were able to see an Econoburn in "real life". Very nice unit as well. In the end, the Kuuma just seemed more appropriate for our modestly sized home. I'm hoping to be able to become a contributing member on hearth.com in the future, for anyone who is considering the Kuuma, once we have it installed\running so that I can repay at least some of the benefit that I have received.......

I just received my VP100 last week from Daryl. He's been EXTREMELY helpful throughout the whole process. It's almost as if you have your own personal contact with how fast you get a response from him.

We get quite few Canadian inquires and it seems like it's almost now on a daily basis. We did use a dealer out of Quebec "Ken Herman" for a couple but this doesn't currently work for us since we can't make them + our sauna stoves fast enough so we can't provide any dealer pricing. For anyone who has dealt with my dad it's doubtful a dealer could provide this kind of detailed information about our products anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.