L.Lange stove. What is the best way to repair/refinish the porcelain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steve MA

Dec 17, 2022
Eastern Massachusetts
We have used our small L.Lange and Co. model 6303 B to heat every winter for the last 40 years. The porcelain on the top near the stove pipe showed some blistering years ago, probably as a result of overheating, and over the years has expanded as shown in the attached photo. The porcelain finish on the rest of the stove is in fine shape.

I am wondering what others have done to fix such damage. I realize that it might be impossible to make an invisible repair, but I want reasonably good cosmetics,

My web searches suggest that I could use I could Thurmalox satin black 270-02 high temperature paint with a Thurmalox 293 clear gloss overcoat . If that's the best way to go what can I use to smooth the transition between the old porcelain and the new paint?

Lange stove top.jpg

Generally speaking, paint doesn't bond to enamel very well at all. Also, the matte or satin finish is much different to the enamel's gloss. I have no experience with the gloss overcoat, I guess it's worth a try?

Most likely to bring joy is to have the enamel stripped then simply paint the stove. It'll look like new! Not just every sandblaster can remove enamel though so try Specialty Stripping in North Hampton, NH.

You can disassemble and rebuild it yourself (6303's are easy). Or have Graham the Stoveman do it.

If anyone knows someone who does re enamelling please post!!!

Good luck, other than blasting it all off and painting it I have never seen a porcelain repair hold up. If every bit of the porcelain is not removed, whatever goes on top of it is going to pop off. There are on the other hand several very good fixes for porcelains using epoxy type products for low temps like bathrooms and kitches but unless you want a stove that cannot be used to burn wood, I havent seen anything that works.

Thanks for your advice. I was afraid that paint over porcelain enamel wouldn't work well and you have confirmed that for me.

I searched the web and found a couple of companies that can apply new porcelain to stove parts (usually for antique gas ovens), but the price is high (possibly hundreds of $ including shipping), and at least one of the companies was reporting problems with cast iron off-gassing and causing the porcelain to bubble. So, new porcelain is out. Paint will be the solution.

Defiant 3: You mention that it is easy to take apart a 6303. Is it simply a matter of removing the two screws that you can see on the top? Am I likely to find these frozen in place? If so, what precautions should I take to avoid breaking them?

This season I will use the stove as is. Restoration will have to wait until springtime.

Fortunately the stove bolts are nutted, so no drilling or tapping needed if they break or have to be cut. Very simple stove, metric hardware though.