L Vent Stainless Steel Chimney Liner Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh395269

Mar 27, 2008
CT
Hi,

My husband is finally going to install our chimney liner and pellet stove in the next few weeks. This will be the first liner he has ever installed, but thankfully he is a pretty handy guy. We are hoping to save a few hundred bucks. I just have a few questions:

1.) Does anyone have a site they would recommend for buying L vent piping/kits? - Hope that is an acceptable question in this forum
2.) I am still not extremely clear on what I need to order. I have a Napoleon Pellet insert stove that is going in my masonry fireplace. The pipe comes out the back of the stove and I believe it is 3". The kits that I have seen have a flexible 3 or 4 inch liner, some kind of tee, a cap, and a top plate. The most confusion I seem to have comes in with the adapter and or t and the top plate. I believe I currently have an 8x13 outlet at the top my chimney which I have been told could require a terra cotta plate. However, most of the kits I have seen have a flat top plate? Also, my stove paperwork says that a 3" pipe is acceptable under 15', however , is it better to buy a 4"? Does anyone have a Naploeon insert that can tell me exactly what I should order?
3.) My husband metioned being concerned about the flue. Does the flue stay in for the installation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kim :)

kh395269 said:
Hi,

My husband is finally going to install our chimney liner and pellet stove in the next few weeks. This will be the first liner he has ever installed, but thankfully he is a pretty handy guy. We are hoping to save a few hundred bucks. I just have a few questions:

1.) Does anyone have a site they would recommend for buying L vent piping/kits? - Hope that is an acceptable question in this forum
2.) I am still not extremely clear on what I need to order. I have a Napoleon Pellet insert stove that is going in my masonry fireplace. The pipe comes out the back of the stove and I believe it is 3". The kits that I have seen have a flexible 3 or 4 inch liner, some kind of tee, a cap, and a top plate. The most confusion I seem to have comes in with the adapter and or t and the top plate. I believe I currently have an 8x13 outlet at the top my chimney which I have been told could require a terra cotta plate. However, most of the kits I have seen have a flat top plate? Also, my stove paperwork says that a 3" pipe is acceptable under 15', however , is it better to buy a 4"? Does anyone have a Naploeon insert that can tell me exactly what I should order?
3.) My husband metioned being concerned about the flue. Does the flue stay in for the installation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kim :)
#1 - Call Eric at Kinsman Stoves (he's on this forum a lot) or http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/pellet-vent.asp they have good prices and ship fast.

#3 - Yes, the liner goes inside the flue. There should be a picture & some instructions in the owners manual that outlines your options for installation including going into a pre-existing masonry flue (which will answer your #2).

Status
Not open for further replies.