Lack of clearance for combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 11, 2021
Kansas
Bought a house with a fireplace in the basement, and had it inspected prior to purchase. I think the inspector missed several places that are worthy of critique. The flue goes from the basement, up to the main floor through an wood framed enclosure, then up through the attic. The clearance going from the basement to the main floor is <2" to a floor joist, and the clearance from the attic to outside is <1". A label on the flue states a clearance of 2" is necessary. Attached are pictures. My question is, how screwed am I when it comes to getting this in a safe condition? Is getting it in a safe condition even practical?

Attic roof E.jpg Basement looking East.jpg Flue label 2.jpg

That's not good. Call the inspector and ask for a refund.

Reactions: DreadPirateGuybrush
Bought a house with a fireplace in the basement, and had it inspected prior to purchase. I think the inspector missed several places that are worthy of critique. The flue goes from the basement, up to the main floor through an wood framed enclosure, then up through the attic. The clearance going from the basement to the main floor is <2" to a floor joist, and the clearance from the attic to outside is <1". A label on the flue states a clearance of 2" is necessary. Attached are pictures. My question is, how screwed am I when it comes to getting this in a safe condition? Is getting it in a safe condition even practical?

View attachment 283174 View attachment 283178 View attachment 283179
What type of inspection was it? A simple home inspection or was it by a chimney professional?

It was by a professional and they charged for an NFPA Level 1 condition report. The commentary on the report is "
Checked steel firebox and flue system. Did not need cleaned. Ran camera up to see interior of the flue to check
the joints. Flue system needs to be enclosed with a 4” brick wall all the way around so that no objects can get
close to start a fire or damage the system. Brick on the hearth is broke, need to keep an eye on for more
deterioration in the future."

They claim to be associations or creditations with CSIA, National Chimney Sweep Guild, Certified Dryer Exhaust Technetium, NFI through Hearth Products & Barbeque Association and National Fireplace Institute.

Is that a notched floor joist? If so I would look into fixing that.

It was by a professional and they charged for an NFPA Level 1 condition report. The commentary on the report is "
Checked steel firebox and flue system. Did not need cleaned. Ran camera up to see interior of the flue to check
the joints. Flue system needs to be enclosed with a 4” brick wall all the way around so that no objects can get
close to start a fire or damage the system. Brick on the hearth is broke, need to keep an eye on for more
deterioration in the future."

They claim to be associations or creditations with CSIA, National Chimney Sweep Guild, Certified Dryer Exhaust Technetium, NFI through Hearth Products & Barbeque Association and National Fireplace Institute.
Well those issues would not have been caught by a level 1. But they should have done a level 2 for a real estate transaction. They could be held liable.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but that looks like galvanized material to me. Is that ok here...?

Is it practical to fix this? Would something like replacing it with an 8" flue be possible, to achieve the 2" clearance?
First, kudos to you for getting curious and not accepting the report at face value. I hope other systems in the house are more properly done. Do you have the manual for the stove? That should indicate what chimney pipe is permitted. If not, what is the make and model of the fireplace?

Could he tear out the triple wall and replace it with insulated to get another inch of clearance? It would help in some areas but he'd still have some trimming / boxing to do where it wasn't enough.

Could he tear out the triple wall and replace it with insulated to get another inch of clearance? It would help in some areas but he'd still have some trimming / boxing to do where it wasn't enough.
Only if there is an insulated pipe specified for their fireplace

First, kudos to you for getting curious and not accepting the report at face value. I hope other systems in the house are more properly done. Do you have the manual for the stove? That should indicate what chimney pipe is permitted. If not, what is the make and model of the fireplace?
Dr. Seuss would be envious of the previous owner's wiring. Fortunately, I do have some training and experience in that area, and have corrected what I have found. As for the fireplace, I do not have a manual. The fireplace was installed sometime in the early 80's I believe, and doubt the documentation was kept. There is no brand or model that I can find on the front or inside the fireplace. Is there a typical location for an identifier?

Look around the door frame of the fireplace for an ID tag. Or sometimes it's behind the blower grille. That said, if it's a contractor fireplace of that vintage than it is possible that the permitted chimney pipe options are very limited.

Dr. Seuss would be envious of the previous owner's wiring. Fortunately, I do have some training and experience in that area, and have corrected what I have found. As for the fireplace, I do not have a manual. The fireplace was installed sometime in the early 80's I believe, and doubt the documentation was kept. There is no brand or model that I can find on the front or inside the fireplace. Is there a typical location for an identifier?
Typically inside the front lip. Typically on the right side