Lacrete vs hammers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
I've burned lacretes(petty good) never tried hammers. Wondering if I should try them this year.

Harmon 52i accentra

Some testing and review by a forum member jtakeman but not sure if he reviewed Hamers. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/2010-pellet-review-its-that-time-again.54880/ Read on another of his posts that Hamers were rebagged for Home Depot at some point. He has a thread on UPC codes to determine manufacturers https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/need-some-help-getting-upc-codes-of-the-pellet-bags.113612/

Best is to get a few bags of each to compare before jumping in for the whole ton. Haven't tried Hamers here since we are a captive audience with few choices. Let us know how you make out!

Harmans will burn most anything without complaint. Some may give better BTUs, some may be a bit quieter in the hopper (the chopping down overly long pellets is noisy). I made myself a bit crazy trying to keep a log of what I liked disliked about each pellet brand I purchased. Never did a bulk purchase due to late in the year installation, eventually tried at least 8 different brands.

I did like the softwoods over the hardwoods or the blends...but that was probably due to getting 25 bags at $4 each on a weekend sale at PelletsDirect in Oxford MA. Could have been that the stove was able to even out, and I got better at the fine tuning of the controls over the time they were consumed.

Thx guys I will look into those links... Just bought a ton of hammers from a local dealer... Let's see how they go... Didn't know about the rebag I'll have to look into tjay

Harmon 52i accentra

Thx guys I will look into those links... Just bought a ton of hammers from a local dealer... Let's see how they go... Didn't know about the rebag I'll have to look into tjay

Harmon 52i accentra
burned ton of Ligs last winter..
good heat but more ash than I exspected.. passed on them this year.. yeah, I;m fussy.
bought ton Hamers this spring instead... we'll see..

Reactions: bogieb
burned several tons of each wasn't to impressed with the hamers my preferance would be the lacretes

I burned a ton of Hamers last year and I know they have thier fans on this forum but I am not one. Thick dark heavy ash. Every morning and my burn pot was full and I had to scrape it out. Never had to do this with Somersets or Country Boys. Also Hamers left an oily black residue all over the inside of the stove.

And that is why it is better to try a few bags before buying tons (if possible). Both of my Harman's loved the couple of bags of Hamer's that I got ahold of; nice and hot, little ash and no coating in my stove as some seem to experience. Differences in settings, set ups (OAK length, exhaust etc) and just the stove can change the experience each person has.

As an example; FSU's have been great burners for my P43 - little ash, no soot, good heat, glass stays clean. They also burn well in my P61a, but leave a dark soot over the entire inside and I have to clean the glass every couple of days. Interesting thing is that FSU's also left a dark soot in the Hastings that used to sit where the P43 is now - basically same exhaust and OAK (but gave good heat and little ash).

It's great to get opinions from other people, but I don't think I've seen a brand/type yet that hasn't had people that love them and others that weren't impressed.

Reactions: jackhammer
And that is why it is better to try a few bags before buying tons (if possible). Both of my Harman's loved the couple of bags of Hamer's that I got ahold of; nice and hot, little ash and no coating in my stove as some seem to experience. Differences in settings, set ups (OAK length, exhaust etc) and just the stove can change the experience each person has.

As an example; FSU's have been great burners for my P43 - little ash, no soot, good heat, glass stays clean. They also burn well in my P61a, but leave a dark soot over the entire inside and I have to clean the glass every couple of days. Interesting thing is that FSU's also left a dark soot in the Hastings that used to sit where the P43 is now - basically same exhaust and OAK (but gave good heat and little ash).

It's great to get opinions from other people, but I don't think I've seen a brand/type yet that hasn't had people that love them and others that weren't impressed.
Have a ton of Hamers to go thru this winter and I assume my P61A with OAK should handle them same as u described....
different stoves burn different ways with SAME pellets... One mans crappy burning is another mans smooth sailing.>>

Update on hammers:
Wow,, burn very hot! And best part of all... these have been the cleanest pellets I've used wow... I hardly have to empty the bin... I mean it's dirty of course but least amount of ash... I've been using my stove daily so far n not much ash... hammers are surely my first choice, if they continue to operate like this .. I won't bother trying others.

Season to season.. is it possible for the same brand of pellet to not perform the same? Does it Change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on hammers:
Wow,, burn very hot! And best part of all... these have been the cleanest pellets I've used wow... I hardly have to empty the bin... I mean it's dirty of course but least amount of ash... I've been using my stove daily so far n not much ash... hammers are surely my first choice, if they continue to operate like this .. I won't bother trying others.

Season to season.. is it possible for the same brand of pellet to not perform the same? Does it Change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just burned a couple bags of Hamers and WOW!!!!!!
Hotest i ever burned..
6-8 inches from the blower I could scald my hand....
the handle to my stove was hotter than I ever remember when I went to open the door.
Ash was coarse but not much volume...
Excellent pellets,.

I just burned a couple bags of Hamers and WOW!!!!!!
Hottest i ever burned.. I know people say this a lot but after 4 yrs and many brands later, I know SUPER HOT WHEN I FEEL IT..
6-8 inches from the blower I could scald my hand....
the handle to my stove was hotter than I ever remember when I went to open the door.
Ash was coarse but not much volume...
Excellent pellets,.

Personally, Hamer's have been my go-to pellet for years now. As noted by others, hot and very little ash in both our MVAE free standing and our Santa Fe insert. I no longer go from pellet to pellet and just start the season with six tons of Hamer's in the shed. Minimal stove maintenance and cleaning with this approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.