Lacrete wood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dlavigne7324

Feeling the Heat
Dec 30, 2013
first year burning Lacretes not very impressed . Burns dirty in my Harman anyone else have feedback on them ?

Ya gotta lower the feed rate with these pellets. There just an ok softie

Have you done the test?From the sticky link How your Harman works.
Feed Rates - Feed rate is controlled by the stove ESP. The stove will select a feed rate based on the actual temperature and target call for heat. The larger the temperature delta (actual room temp vs. target room temp), the greater the feed rate will be. 10 degrees would be a large delta and the stove would feed to reach max ESP temp of about 500 degrees depending on stove model. A 2 degree delta might only result in a feed rate of 20 seconds per minute even though the feed rate max dial is set to 4 (or 40 seconds per minute). The stove can vary the feed rate between 2.5 seconds per minute and the max feed rate you set. A feed rate of 6 would represent continuous feeding if the ESP wasn't seeing sufficient temperatures to satisfy the call for heat.When up to temp the stove will regulate itself form 2.5 seconds per minute of feed up to the limit you set.

Feed rates can lead to incomplete combustion comes in 2 forms:

1. Pellets spilling over the edge of the burn pot before they are reduced to ash.
2. Smoke.

Relative to #1 - when you run the stove wide open (stove temp setting at 7), the burning pellets should come no closer than 1 inch from the edge of the burn pot. You should have burning pellets and about 1" of ash before the edge. If pellets are bulging and close to the edge, you might not turn them to ash before spilling over the edge, wasting energy. If the burn line is too close, dial the feed rate back a bit, may by 1/2 of a number (i.e. 3.5 to 3). The stove doesn't run wide open once everything is up to temp, so this is only for scenarios where, for instance, the room is 65 and you want it 75 degrees or you turn the temp dial all the way clockwise (just don't walk away for too long or you'll bake yourself...).

Relative to #2 - smoke is also a sign of incomplete combustion, meaning that there is more fuel than air supplied by the combustion blower. This too should be evaluated when the stove is running WIDE OPEN. At night with a flashlight, you'll always see smoke. During the day, smoke is rated based on opacity or how easily you can see through it. Startup might be 50% opacity or fairly heavy smoke. If you are 10% or less (barely visible), that's reasonable and you aren't really wasting anything. If you have to struggle to see it, you're probably good. If you can easily see smoke and your flame is HUGE, try dialing back feed rate a bit to bring the air/fuel mix back into a more efficient range by dialing it back by 1/2 of a number (ie 3.5 to 3). In most cases, you don't want to be below 3 or much above 4. You'll also want to recalibrate after changing brands of pellets since the blend and size of pellet will cause it to burn/feed differently.

Setting your feed rate too low doesn't save pellets and stove performance will suffer since your inhibiting the ESP from reaching target temps. Setting your feed rate too low is like putting a brick underneath the gas pedal of your car.

Don't be tempted to set your feed rate too low.

So there's the facts, interpret away...

Ya gotta lower the feed rate with these pellets. There just an ok softie
No you don't, I leave my P43 on Feed Rate #4 no matter what pellet is in the stove.
And the LaCretes are one of the best out there, cost wise, heat output and ash content.

burned a ton of Lacretes last year in my P61A...
Great heat and not lot of ash...
this year burning th next best thing to douglas firs..Easyblaze super premium softies..
just about no ash, hotter than the previous Hamer Hots and about 100.00 less than firs..

Reactions: Harmanizer
Always had great luck with them. Very clean and hot burning!

my only complaint with my current ezbalze premiums is very dusty.
but, they burn like zilch ash doug firs and at 249.00 ton, im happy.==c==c==c