Lake effect snow driving nitemare...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman23

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2008
western southern tier of NYS
The drive in today was anything but pleasent

winter09020.jpg

winter09019.jpg

winter09016.jpg

winter09015.jpg

Yikes!...the only good thing about lake effect is that it can be clear as a bell over the next hill.

That's crazy! How much did you guys end up getting? I saw the storm on the radar yesterday. It even looked like norther VT was going to pick up some of that. As a skier, I check the weather like a mad man this time of year.

No thanks. You guys can keep your southern winters. Yuk Traffic to boot! Thanks for the pics though. Lets me know how lucky I really am. Ive never had a moose finger me yet on the way into work. Keep the world turning down there ya hear.
N of 60

Hi -

I remember hitch hicking on I90 back in the early 1980's... The sound of the big plows running 2 or 3 abreast was like far off thunder. I'd run for the snow bank and jump as far as I could before the snow hit me. I even had snow in my shirt pockets that had button down flaps!

One night near Fort Plain the Beechnut factory roof started to give way under the weight of the snow. 80% female employees, young sailor... I didn't walk far ; )

ATB,
Mike

woodsman, i live north of buffalo, we didnt get crap maybe 2in. Nice pics, just wish i could find the pics from a few years ago when we got 7 feet of snow. gotta love jimmy griffin-grab a six pack and stay home.

Let me be clear when I say: screw that. I'm as far north and as far south as I want to be. Which means a dusting here causes a run on bread/milk/eggs.

Pagey said:
Let me be clear when I say: screw that. I'm as far north and as far south as I want to be. Which means a dusting here causes a run on bread/milk/eggs.

I know what you mean about a run on food. I went to the local store and there was 1 1/2 gallon of milk and no bread to be found. Beer was running low also. (very small town)

Ah . . . whenever the Storm of the Century is predicted by the weather guessers on TV . . . which seems to be about every 2 to 3 weeks we get a run on the three Bs . . . Beer, Batteries and Bleach. Some really whacked out folks also apparently stock up on groceries, but the three big ones tend to be the Beer, Batteries and Bleach for some reason.

Never really heard of runnin out to get bleach. I always get beer,smokes,chips and sometimes if they have them little bite size hotdogs. them little hotdogs seem to go fast though!!

Tarbot said:
firefighterjake..... Bleach?

Around here it's Beer, Smokes, and Gas

Yup . . . bleach. I can't figure it out myself. I mean the last thing I would be thinking to do is run a load of whites through the washing machine. ;)

All I can think is maybe these old timers figure they can use the bleach to chlorinate water if they had to for drinking purposes . . .

Talk about lake effect. 1st week of January of 09 I was driving along the South shore of Lake Superior (The big lake), between Marquette and Munising in Michigans Upper Penisula. White knuckle, +/- 20 mph, locked in 4WD low, 2 feet snow on the ground and counting. Snowing so hard all you could see was tailights of the guy in front of you and praying he didnt make a wrong turn into the Big lake! :) The up side was I had my XM Radio cranked up on the classic vinyl station working on a cold diet coke :) The things I do for the company!

Topshelf said:
Talk about lake effect. 1st week of January of 09 I was driving along the South shore of Lake Superior (The big lake), between Marquette and Munising in Michigans Upper Penisula. White knuckle, +/- 20 mph, locked in 4WD low, 2 feet snow on the ground and counting. Snowing so hard all you could see was tailights of the guy in front of you and praying he didnt make a wrong turn into the Big lake! :) The up side was I had my XM Radio cranked up on the classic vinyl station working on a cold diet coke :) The things I do for the company!

Ahhh, you know about the " trance" ! Don't you?
Wundering if yur goin' 2 die cross eyed or from the baseball sized snowflake that comes through the windshield and caves your forehead in!
Ya, that's real lake effect!

Status
Not open for further replies.