Lake girl.. help! So frustrated w Biovent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dartfrogz

Nov 20, 2014
ct
Lake girl, i read somewhere that you use this pipe..

What am i doing wrong? I cant get the pieces together with the rubber gasket things in there?
I can get it to fit if i remove them..
Are they supposed to be inside or outside of the pipe? Cuz they seem like they are supposed to be on the inside but then they dont connect all the way.

What am i doing wrong? I cant get the pieces together with the rubber gasket things in there?
Are they supposed to be inside or outside of the pipe? Cuz they seem like they are supposed to be on the inside but then they dont connect all the way.

Are you lubricating the seals rings with Vaseline?

Reactions: pete7713
Never heard of Biovent pipe till now. Looks a lot like the Z vent pipe I had to use for the furnace in the old house, with the addition of the outer wall. Wow what a pain. Even if I had everything lined right up and lubed, most of the time the pipe would just push the seal out of its slot. I fought with one joint for 20 minutes. I even thought about siliconing the seals to the inner wall of the tube, to at least secure them while I pushed the pipes together.

According to the manufacturer this does not need silicone either. But if this pipe is the same design as what I used, I'd feel better about sealing it.

I installed my new pellet stove a couple of years ago using the Biovent pipe supplied by the dealer. In a nut shell this pipe is a PIA to work with. Initially the internal silicone gaskets moved out of place due to the extremely tight fit. I am pretty large with vice grip hands and it took a lot of umph to push these things together. I also used high temp silicone grease to assist assembly. Some of the gaskets were no glued well to the pipe and they rolled out of place when assembling. I used high temp rtv sealant to re-glue the gaskets in place more securely. After a year I had to disassemble the inside pipe to move the stove for auger motor replacement. Disassembly of the pipe was a PIA. The silicone gaskets still looked good, so I cleaned them, re-secured them with rtv where needed, then used high temp silicone grease on all for reassembly. The pipes did go back together much easier, I my confidence level was higher that the gaskets remained in the proper position. No leaks or smoke that I am able to detect. If I had to do over I'm pretty certain I would use duravent pipe, but I think I can work with the Biovent pipe going forward, keeping a couple of spare gaskets, high temp rtv and high temp silicone grease close by.