Land of eternal winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
Burning upstairs again. Snow yesterday, 20F this morning (and predicted for the next two nights), New Mexico is no longer the Land of the Sun. There will be no apricots this year, and gardens are under siege. I have 18 pieces of wood left for the Quad. It's getting "interesting" in May.

C,mon up. rototilled last night and planting potatoes today. Still 2ft of ice on the lakes but no ice on the river.
Setting records here also. the opposite way. Will be in a t-shirt this afternoon. :)

That's because you sent the jet stream south to us. :mad: We were warm in Feb and March, but now we are below average. However, my potatoes are valiantly starting to poke up through the ground. The corn and squash however, are not happy and won't be until evening temps rise about 5-10 degrees.

It's actually been unseasonably cool around here for the last week or so, still, after such a warm winter and early spring people's vegetable gardens are well along. My neighbor's beans are coming up already, and peas have been up for a month.
As for me, well we didn't get around to planting anything till last weekend, so our garden is a bit behind. :red:

I wonder if North of 60 can even grow squash up there?

NOAA's CPC says that the patterns behind this will persist for through mid-summer (they only go out 3 months.) I know people who moved here from northern parts to retire and they are questioning whether they'll stay.

precaud said:
Burning upstairs again. Snow yesterday, 20F this morning (and predicted for the next two nights), New Mexico is no longer the Land of the Sun. There will be no apricots this year, and gardens are under siege. I have 18 pieces of wood left for the Quad. It's getting "interesting" in May.

Flagstaff, AZ is unseasonably cool right now, also.

Were are at 84 right now, but we had a week or so of cool weather here in S.E. PA. It looks like we are done burning for the year... I think.

Cycles. Weather tends to run in cycles. One extreme usually follows another too. New Mexico has a big difference in weather in various parts of the state. It sure can see some extremes.

Our spring has been a bit odd. Most of the field corn was planted in April this year which is early for this area. We've had lots of freezing nights. The old saying in this area is the frogs have to be froze up 6 times. It's been more like 15 or more this spring. We had 3 hard freezes this week and then yesterday 82 degrees! Today is warm and humid with temp in low 70's.

Carbon_Liberator said:
It's actually been unseasonably cool around here for the last week or so, still, after such a warm winter and early spring people's vegetable gardens are well along. My neighbor's beans are coming up already, and peas have been up for a month.
As for me, well we didn't get around to planting anything till last weekend, so our garden is a bit behind. :red:

I wonder if North of 60 can even grow squash up there?

Squash Grow under clear polyethylene to lengthen growing season.

Here ya go. No scurvy up here. At least for the summer. Bogydave and I still have our teeth. :lol:
http://www.alaskamastergardeners.org/Recommended/Vegetables.htm

82 here today. Nineties tomorrow. I checked on the vegetables yesterday. The produce manager at the store said that they were fine.

BrotherBart said:
82 here today. Nineties tomorrow. I checked on the vegetables yesterday. The produce manager at the store said that they were fine.
That brought up and old memory.
BB You better clarify what he means by "fine".
Some years ago I asked a friend, who was manager of the produce department of a big supermarket, how he kept the fruit flies at bay on the fruit displays at their store? He nonchalantly replied "I spray them with Raid". :ahhh: Despite my protest, he assured me this was normal procedure and quite "fine".
One person's fine is another person's revolting. That's the main reason I like to have a garden, so when I pick my own vegetables I can at least rest assured they haven't been drenched in Raid.

Just the humble opinion of a guy who carefully washes his store bought fruits and vegetables. :shut:

Carbon_Liberator said:
BrotherBart said:
Some years ago I asked a friend, who was manager of the produce department of a big supermarket, how he kept the fruit flies at bay on the fruit displays at their store? He nonchalantly replied "I spray them with Raid". :ahhh: Despite my protest, he assured me this was normal procedure and quite "fine".
One person's fine is another person's revolting. That's the main reason I like to have a garden, so when I pick my own vegetables I can at least rest assured they haven't been drenched in Raid.

Just the humble opinion of a guy who carefully washes his store bought fruits and vegetables. :shut:

Fine?
Stinky Beehler was driving his dad's pick-up, Shorty Walton was in the middle and I was on the passenger side.
It was senior day so we stopped and got an ice cream. Pulling out of the parking lot, Stinky asked, "How is it?"
I said, "It's mighty fine" so he pulled into the road and we almost got killed by a semi truck.

We are keeping our house nice and toasty. As we saw this wet and cold weather system moving in I got the boys busy re-loading the almost empty wood box so we would have dry wood ready to go. I remember far too many May storms with wet heavy snow to not be ready for it.

It is all I can do to keep from laughing right now every time I pass our thermostat which is only set for the fan to circulate the air.

With the garden in mind the mother in law transplanted her bedding plants in the greenhouse this week and we are hoping to turn the garden in the coming week.... If it dries out enough.

While it would be nice to have early produce we find that our results are much better when we wait for the soil to warm up more.

Carbon_Liberator said:
BrotherBart said:

The odds of me being harmed by a fresh vegetable are extremely low.

BB

Well something has obviously affected Ya. :lol:

north of 60 said:
BB

Well something has obviously affected Ya. :lol:

Yep. And all of it was either illegal, immoral or fattening.

Hmm, snowed 3days ago. 85 degrees today.

Well....it snowed here again today. Same as yesterday, and the day before. Our counter "girl" is from Alaska, said her home town was 20 °F warmer than us. If I see Al Gore, I'm gonna try like hell to kick him in the neather regions! :coolgrin:

Beetle, no doubt you're getting more snow at 8200' than we are at 7400. It's 29 and snowing here now.

It's unfortunate that the "global warming" label stuck rather than the more realistic "global climate change". But Americans always seem to gravitate toward/get pushed into 5th-grade understandings of things, and are either unable or unwilling to grasp complex concepts with diverse local implications.

Scientists have been scratching their heads the last few years, with net solar radiation on the increase, trying to figure out where the heat is going, as average sea-level temps have dropped a little. The data suggests that it's going to the deep ocean waters, where heat continues to accumulate:
http://www.skepticalscience.com/news.php?p=2&t=92&&n;=178

Haven't had a fire going for the past couple of days . . . but I haven't done anything with the garden either. Suppose I should get cracking on that.

On the flip side . . . loving reading this thread. Very funny stuff.

Had to break down and install the A/C units today.

Very cold in Gallup over the weekend too. We had relatives visit from Michigan and they got to experience snow and 20 degree temps. They were anxious to head back to the warmth of the North.
I've had to get creative w/ wood also. Have a bunch of olive that I cut back in the fall--stuff seems to have dried quite quickly b/c it burns rather well. Smells like cigars, but makes good heat.
Anyway, the snow is gone and it was 70 today and the low temps look to be back in the 30's for the week.

NMman said:
Very cold in Gallup over the weekend too. We had relatives visit from Michigan and they got to experience snow and 20 degree temps. They were anxious to head back to the warmth of the North.
I've had to get creative w/ wood also. Have a bunch of olive that I cut back in the fall--stuff seems to have dried quite quickly b/c it burns rather well. Smells like cigars, but makes good heat.
Anyway, the snow is gone and it was 70 today and the low temps look to be back in the 30's for the week.

Sounds like your visitors were not "Enchanted".

A whole lot of people don't realize the diversity of weather you can get in NM. And this year sounds like it has been a pip there.

I was driving and asked my dear wife if I should be turning left. She replied "Right!" So I turned right . . . man I hate those semi's . . . that and a screaming wife.

Just so's ya know. Stopped snowing sometime after midnight, Sunday/Monday. After watching the news tonight, I'm going to officially stop complaining. Nashville, Tenn.- my thoughts and prayers go out to you, what a mess! Hope everyone there is dry and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.