Large, Modern Insert Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Insert it where??

Nov 10, 2022
VA all day
Hi All -

My wife and I recently purchased a lake house that has a large fireplace in which I'd like to put a wood-burning insert. The home is 3,400 sq feet built in 1987. It's an open floor plan with the majority of the living taking place on the first floor - think 80's contemporary modern...sunken living rooms, open spaces, loft space of the two-story living room, etc. The home also has a centrally located fireplace which I would like to make the primary heat source given how open the space is.

The details are as follows:
  • Height at front of firebox = 28.5"
  • Width at front of firebox = 36"
  • Height at back of firebox bottom = 28.5"
  • Width at back of firebox top = 29"
  • Depth at firebox bottom = 23"
  • Depth at firebox top = 18.5"
  • Chimney height = ~30' and straight
  • Insulation = decent R15 throughout
  • Windows = mid-90s double-paned Anderson casements
Since we're going with the modern vibe, we're looking for something flush mount with clean lines like the Osburn Matrix - however, this is about all I'm finding for options, and would love suggestions and recommendations. Aside from the output and clean lines, we're fairly open. Ideally, we'd like something that wouldn't require me to clean the glass every other day but having grown up in the 80s with a wood stove as the primary heat source, I certainly know how lol :)

Finally, kudos to those that have made this forum such a wealth of resources!

Cheers,
-CG

Last edited:
Hi All -

My wife and I recently purchased a lake house that has a large fireplace in which I'd like to put a wood-burning insert. The home is 3,400 sq feet built in 1987. It's an open floor plan with the majority of the living taking place on the first floor - think 80's contemporary modern...sunken living rooms, open spaces, loft space of the two-story living room, etc. The home also has a centrally located fireplace which I would like to make the primary heat source given how open the space is.

The details are as follows:
  • Height at front of firebox = 28.5"
  • Width at front of firebox = 36"
  • Height at back of firebox bottom = 28.5"
  • Width at back of firebox top = 29"
  • Depth at firebox bottom = 23"
  • Depth at firebox top = 18.5"
  • Chimney height = ~30'
  • Insulation = decent R15 throughout
  • Windows = mid-90s double-paned Anderson casements
Since we're going with the modern vibe, we're looking for something flush mount with clean lines like the Osburn Matrix - however, this is about all I'm finding for options, and would love suggestions and recommendations. Aside from the output and clean lines, we're fairly open. Ideally, we'd like something that wouldn't require me to clean the glass every other day but having grown up in the 80s with a wood stove as the primary heat source, I certainly know how lol :)

Finally, kudos to those that have made this forum such a wealth of resources!

Cheers,
-CG
Ok first question is the fireplace a masonry fireplace or a prefab unit?

Pics of the current fireplace

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 6.11.45 PM.png

I do. We're wayyyyy out in the country where folks keep their firewood. Lots of good seasoned oak to burn and plenty more for purchase if needed.
Most of the time when sellers say seasoned it is nowhere near ready. Oak typically takes atleast 2 years cut split and covered. Many time 3 years

Which is more important size or looks?

Flush will require using the blower regularly. The high ceiling will need ceiling fans to help circulate the heat.

Osburn Matrix, Regency 2700, Lopi Large Flush NexGen, and the Hearthstone Clydesdale are the four that come to mind.

They are all good quality units, but all are E/W loaders with shallow fireboxes that can only be loaded to partial capacity. Personally, I wouldn't want to heat 24/7 with any of them. For a 24/7 stove give me an N/S loader. It won't be flush, but it will hold more fuel without the hassle of it rolling up against the glass and ash spillage. My preference would be the Osburn 3500i, Pacific Energy Summit, or Ironstrike Montlake 300

Reactions: EbS-P
We are in a similar situation as you and we went with the Osburn 2700 Matrix. I just loaded it for the 2nd night of burning this season. We had an entire winter with it last year and I feel like I got to know it very well. It heats our 2000 sq ft main floor too well at times. We never turn the blower on past the lowest setting. Most of the time we are fine with the blower off.
This is the first year we have had truly seasoned red oak and I can already tell it is going to perform even better. Last year, overnight burns were the norm with plenty of hot coals after 9-10 hours or so. I am looking forward to seeing what it does in the am as I really stuffed it full tonight. Our red oak is now perfectly seasoned.
As much as we like it, there is nothing better if the goal is heating with a stove than a free stander. We have a Jotul downstairs and that thing will just about heat the entire house. We are designing plans for our beach house and there will be a free standing stove right in the middle of the living room for sure!