Largest tree you've ever seen....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be the first to respond to me own post!

I'd have to say that the Tulip Poplar on the front lawn of my work place is the largest tree I've ever seen. It has to be close to 160ft and at least a 5ft girth at the base. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post.

Cathedral state park in West Virginia has some big trees, I've been there but it ain't close where I live...HOWEVER,

this behemoth is behind Subway, near Sheetz, in my hometown, Gettysburg....

http://www.eveningsun.com/news/ci_22802074/preserving-285-year-old-witness-tree

You can't get a real good idea of how big it is until you get up close to it, and realize many of those limbs are bigger than your average tree in the woods around here.

20130315_072519_tree1.jpg

Attachments

• 4b2e99d798e8268aaf5a41b3f74998af.jpg
    4b2e99d798e8268aaf5a41b3f74998af.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 225
Woodburne Sanctuary. Susquehanna County Pa. Biggest Hemlocks, Ash, Cherry, largest stands of hickory, that I know of locally. It's a bit of the very limited amount of old growth (virgin) lands in Pa.

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative...ylvania/placesweprotect/woodbourne-forest.xml

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...t_harrisburg/13904/woodbourne_preserve/588502

Really fun to walk through those woods and see trees that just make one's jaw reach it's downward limits. If you are in NorthEastPa and into hiking, it's worth it.

If you are into geocaching, my geocaching club at our local high school set up a great multi-cache there a few years back that takes a 5.5 mile walk around the property. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9fdd3aa5-025b-4ca8-8428-b7d6cc6131db

pen

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
They cut down this healthy Pin Oak (the bass turds) about four miles from the house. :(
This one was about 65" at breast height.
There may be other big ones around here that I don't know about.....

001-25.jpg

004-7.jpg

004-6.jpg

I just started measuring trees for fun. I bought a clinometer and a Nikon 440 rangefinder. Haven't found anything huge yet here in Minnesota...biggest is a 24 ft circumference at breast height and tallest is a couple of 95 footers...a cottonwood and a pin oak.

I live in a place called Sherbrooke forest (pic below) which is dominated by mountain ash - which is one of the tallest hardwood trees in the world. they typically grow from 70–114.4 m (230–375 feet.) it doesn't take much to build quite a collection of firewood. ;)

The tallest i have seen is close to 300 feet.

800px-Sherbrooke_forest_Victoria_220rs.jpg

Any pics out there of the trees that you drive through out west on that park?

Woodburne Sanctuary. Susquehanna County Pa. Biggest Hemlocks, Ash, Cherry, largest stands of hickory, that I know of it's a bit of the very limited amount of old growth (virgin) lands in Pa.

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative...ylvania/placesweprotect/woodbourne-forest.xml

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...t_harrisburg/13904/woodbourne_preserve/588502

Really fun to walk through those woods and see trees that just make one's jaw reach it's downward limits. If you are in NorthEastPa and into hiking, it's worth it.

If you are into geocaching, my geocaching club at our local high school set up a great multi-cache there a few years back that takes a 5.5 mile walk around the property. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9fdd3aa5-025b-4ca8-8428-b7d6cc6131db

pen
Nice link

I live in a place called Sherbrooke forest (pic below) which is dominated by mountain ash - which is one of the tallest hardwood trees in the world. they typically grow from 70–114.4 m (230–375 feet.) it doesn't take much to build quite a collection of firewood. ;)

The tallest i have seen is close to 300 feet.

View attachment 106452

I don't think there are any confirmed 375 footers alive today from what I have read. The tallest current is just 327!

here's a list of the top 5 tallest trees in the world - 3 of them are within 15 mins drive 1 is walking distance from my house.

Name Location Height Girth Measurement Details
1 Ferguson Tree Healesville, Watts River Catchment, Victoria Australia Over 500ft (154m+) 56.5ft (17.5m) Measured by Surveyor Ferguson. Fallen tree 435 feet to tree (top broken by fall). 3 feet thick at break. Recorded in 1872
2 Not Named Mt Baw Baw, 470 ft (145m) N.A. Measured by Surveyor G.W. Robinson. Prior to 1889
Victoria, Australia
3 Lynn Valley Tree British Columbia near Vancouver Canada 417 ft (128m) 53ft (16.4m) Past Specimen, not well verified (Ref. Dr A.C.Carder)
4 Centenial Exhibition Tree Menzies Creek, Victoria Australia 400ft (123m) 72 ft (22m) Measured by sawmiller after felling. Prior to 1888
5 Not named Dandenongs, Victoria Australia 392 ft (120m) N.A. Fallen tree measured by Surveyor David Boyle in 1862. He added 30 ft for its broken top giving it a total height of 420ft.

Maybe, but then again maybe not. Lots of reports of 400 to 450 ft tall tee on both hemispheres, and many by semi-credible means. Sitka spruces, costal redwoods, douglas fir, etc. all lay some claim to tall maybes.....

Right now the record stands at just under 380 ft for a coastal redwood that is a very young 600 years old....north of the equator:p

Right now the record stands at just under 380 ft for a coastal redwood that is a very young 600 years old....north of the equator:p

That is the tallest tree... and I have seen it myself. It is called Hyperion.

The current largest living tree is the General Sherman Tree in Sequoia National Park, which I have also seen. It is a Giant Sequoia.

I have visited the General Sherman Tree at 275 ft,estimated age of 2,300–2,700 years .
Hyperion Tree in Redwoods National Park is claimed to be the world's tallest living tree at 379.7 ft., 700–800 years old.

That is the tallest tree... and I have seen it myself. It is called Hyperion.

The current largest living tree is the General Sherman Tree in Sequoia National Park, which I have also seen. It is a Giant Sequoia.
I thought only a select few knew of Hyperion's location. Are you one of the select few or is word getting out? I'd hate to see the soil at the base of the tree get compacted...

giant mountain ash that's one of Victoria's largest trees. Around 270 years old, it's about 76 metres tall with a circumference of 15 metres. google ada tree ....

This one is near the house.

Attachments

• P1310032.JPG
    P1310032.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 223
  • P1310030.JPG
    P1310030.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 244
  • P1310031.JPG
    P1310031.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 241
Status