Last 2 Bags of Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burned through 6 tons of Turmans this year--fired up in early November, and have been going steady since that time. I am down to my last ten bags of New England Premiums, which are left-overs from last season. I'm hoping that I can do a shutdown within the next week or so.

Reactions: vinny11950
I hear this with the max and p68. These are both high efficiency stoves that “can” burn a lot of pellets and make big heat. If they are run lower are they eating more pellets than a smaller stove would be eating to do the same job? I guess that’s what you’re saying but it sounds like efficiency goes way down.

The way i set the stove up for shoulder season was to program the control board to the Meridian stove program with heat setting on 3 all while on a thermostat. burned about a bag a day (same as my quad 1200 on high). dead of winter i had the stove programmed to the MAX, it used about 55-60lbs in 24hrs. so overall it did use a bit more over the season but it didn't labor to do it like the old Quad. and the house was always 72-74

Reactions: Highbeam
I got about 1.5 ton left but it’s not over either. Most of April has been colder than March. I’m lucky if the temp gets over 40 during the day. Then high winds and snow the past week. So glad I got that 4th ton last fall.

Going to be interesting to see what the virus does to pellet production. Hoping I can get the 3 tons I’m going to need for next season.
I figure I’ll have one ton leftover so I only ordered two fro next year. Same price as last year from my usual supplier. I’m not one to wait on my pellets. With oil prices so low, pellet prices may drop.

Reactions: Peterfield
I figure I’ll have one ton leftover so I only ordered two fro next year. Same price as last year from my usual supplier. I’m not one to wait on my pellets. With oil prices so low, pellet prices may drop.

I am wondering that too. Will pellet producers cut production or just sell really cheap pellets. I think for the first time since I have been burning, burning oil will be cheaper for a lot of people that have the option of the 2.

And it is still cold around here. The weather forecast keeps saying it will warm up, but every morning it is chilly or cold with cloudy, rainy days with no sun heat.

Reactions: jackhammer
It’s been warm this weekend during the day. It hit 70f yesterday but at night it’s still below freezing.

I’m wondering about the pro pellets that work so good for me. I believe they come from ground up pallets. With not near as much stuff shipping I wonder what that’s going to do to the supply.

I am wondering that too. Will pellet producers cut production or just sell really cheap pellets. I think for the first time since I have been burning, burning oil will be cheaper for a lot of people that have the option of the 2.

And it is still cold around here. The weather forecast keeps saying it will warm up, but every morning it is chilly or cold with cloudy, rainy days with no sun heat.
Just got a call that my pellets will be delivered next Monday. Usually delivered in the fall so they are real slow. Fine by me. They are paid for so all I need to d9 is clean the stove if I ever stop running it! I don’t think I’ve ever run it in May? Being on LI, the wind must keep your temps down too.

Four bags left and I may need to buy some more at Menards. I thought I'd only burn half a bag a day when I installed the P68 but it would be 2-3 if I let it run constantly heating the workshop when it's 30 outside (need to finish insulation work). At least it lets me work on projects (like restoring these old light houses) while locked down due to covid,,,

View attachment 259599
Love those lighthouses......

Four bags left and I may need to buy some more at Menards. I thought I'd only burn half a bag a day when I installed the P68 but it would be 2-3 if I let it run constantly heating the workshop when it's 30 outside (need to finish insulation work). At least it lets me work on projects (like restoring these old light houses) while locked down due to covid,,,

View attachment 259599
Those are cool lighthouses......

Th last 3 years I was right on the money with just a bag or 2 left over. Not this year...went through my 3 tons and just bought 10 more bags. Doubt if that will be enough. Has been real cool in New England this year.

Reactions: Marc S.
I thought it was over last weekend when we hit the high 70s, but this new round of cold will be end of the pellet stash. I heard the weather man say most of last winter we rarely got the polar vortex until now. Now the cold from the north is just locked in over us.

Yup, I’m probably running mine this weekend too. Last weekend was in the 70’s and now this?!? Crazy!

Same here. I’ve lost track of all the times we’ve had snow for mother’s day. But that’s always been the last of it.

Im sorry everyone i had lumber delivered for some decks im putting up of course its gonna be cold and snow! :(

Us to forecasting SNOW
Still have almost a ton of pellets
and a cord of firewood
I have admit, though, the cool days are great when the sun is out. Cool, dry and sunny. Perfect weather for outdoor projects. I was planning to change some brake lines in the Jeep this weekend but the weather forecast is not looking too good for my driveway projects.

I've used about 2 3/4 tons so far, but no end in sight! It's forecast to be 27 degrees tomorrow morning. I had almost half a ton left from last year, and I had to open a pallet that I was hoping I could save until next year. I should note that my stove was down for 3 weeks in March until I got my smoke issue sorted out....

This will be my first full season with the stove, so I don't know what normal is for me yet. Last year from January - April (or whenever it warmed up) I used 2.5 tons... but it was a much colder January and February than this year.

IMG_2114 2.jpg

Sure enough. It was warmer than this 2 months ago.

• Haha
Yeah, I woke up to snow showers and a coating too. I thought with oil cheap I’d just run the furnace. I fired up the stove today though, we like it 73 or so and we just like the heat from the stove. Soon enough we will be running the A/C. I did get my pellet supply last week, all set for next winter!

30s all day yesterday, 40s today. Teens last night, broke some local records. Supposed to be 60 by the weekend and 70 next week. Hope it stays. I said that awhile ago too.

I got thinking in 2009 it was cold and miserable all summer. 11 years ago which happens to be the sunspot cycle. Sure enough that was a minimum and this year is too. Since pollution is supposed to make things warmer, and people are talking about the clearer air due to lack of pollution from things being shut down, I wonder if the combination of both is going to make this an exceptionally cold year.

In mid-March I was sure I'd have well past 1.5 tons left over, which is our usual use for a heating season - so I'd skip a year of buying pellets. But now, with (a) it is just not warming up, and (b) my wife has been working from home since 03/16/20 and she likes the fire during the day when I used to only run it evenings and weekends.... now I'm down to a little over 60 bags. So, probably going to buy a ton this summer.

I just moved the my last ton into the garage yesterday. Turned the stove off this morning, might burn it tonight. Figure I've got about 2.5 tons left to start next season. Started the seaon with about 6 tons. Certainly didn't burn as many bags as I thought I would burn this year. Only prepaid for 2 tons for next season.