last bag of Hamers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
last bag of last seasons Hamers just went into the hopper...
ready to start with the EazyBlaze Super Premos..
good prices for both .....249.00 ton.

I have never had a pellet stove. Is it cheaper than other forms of heating like gas or electric? How long does a ton of pellets last?

last bag of last seasons Hamers just went into the hopper...
ready to start with the EazyBlaze Super Premos..
good prices for both .....249.00 ton.

How were the Hamers? I can get them for $249/ton. They have been getting terrible reviews lately. They used to be great, I’ve never tried them.I can get Vermont’s for $299/ton. I like clean, hot pellets so I think the Vermont’s would be better.

I have never had a pellet stove. Is it cheaper than other forms of heating like gas or electric? How long does a ton of pellets last?

There are a lot of variables.
First, it depends what you can buy pellet for. Where I live, it is hard to get pellets under $270/ton but I’ve noticed from these forums they can go for less than that depending on where you live.
For me, it is cheaper than electric and propane but a bit more expensive than oil currently.
I have both a Harman PF100 furnace and an oil furnace for the original 3000 sqft of home and a Harman P43 to heat the addition. This winter I used 3.5 tons running the P43 all the time and using the PF100 for the last month. (I’m still working the bugs out of the furnace though)

Last edited:

Like Jersey Jeff said, there are a lot of variables. I have about 2000 square feet of home to heat (house is about 12 years old. 2x6 walls and has fiberglass insulation). First floor has radiant heat in the floors and the second is hot water baseboard. Water is heated with fuel oil. Keeping the house at 70F I was running through about 200+ gallons of oil a month during the late fall, winter and early spring season. I finally put in a pellet stove (49,000 BTU Piazetta Sabrina) about 4 years ago in the summer and started using it as my primary heat. I burn just under 2 tons of pellets a year and use about 350 gallons of heating oil over the entire year (my domestic hot water is heated off the same boiler that is used to heat the water for the radiant and baseboard).

Let's just say that the stove paid for itself by the end of the second winter.

I am gone during the day so I have it on a timer to come on at 4:30am and shut it off before work at 7am and then I run the stove at a mid level setting from 5pm until bedtime. I do have a few box fans to move the air around the house and on really cold nights the upstairs baseboard does come on around 2am, but I can certainly say from my experience that burning pellets has allowed me to keep the house much warmer when I'm home and has saved me a lot of $$$ so far.

we have a 61,000 Harman free standing pellet stove. P61A. Heating a 1600 sq old 1920's house.
when the steady cold weather hits, we are on 24/7. heat makes its way to .2nd floor with 3 bedrooms/bath..keeps it around 67 upstairs.
[could get it warmer but we would melt the walls downstairs with the Harman Beast!]

have oil fed hot water baseboard heat but haven't used it for past 4 yrs..same furnace is used for our domestic hot water... [summer/winter hookup they call it].
use approx 3-3/half tons per season which starts around mid October here in the mid Atlantic area.

1 oil drop per year pretty much covers the hot water demand. only wife and I.

with oil we would keep the thermostat set to 67-68 and dress warm to conserve oil.
with pellet stove we can keep it set at 74 degrees or so as we have a constant blowing of heat thruout the day.... have never felt consistantly warmer since we got the stove.
using the oil furnace and thermostat set at 74 degrees, we would burn oil like a drunken sailor so best move we made was getting a pellet stove.
btw: we burn xtra good softwoods which keeps the ash content much lower...not necessary but our choice..

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiments above. We have a propane heating system and set it at 70 and the house (4400 sq ft built in 2002, 2X6 full insulated walls with R49 in the attic) is not as warm with the propane heat. With pellets, downstairs in the family room is 78-80 which is very comfortable and upstairs is 70-73. We have the heat on set to 70 but it only really kicks in on cold days. Burning propane at 70 degrees is roughly double of what I would burn in pellets to keep the house comfortable. There is a much bigger comfort factor with burning pellets. When I get my propane bill, I am always glad I burn pellets!

PelletPirate: How many tons do you burn a year? I burn about 7 and 60 gallons of oil for a 3800 sq foot house. Only 2x4 walls built in 06.

Tonyray: Did you like the eazyblaze? I have burned hamer's for the past 5 years. 2 years ago they were not great and last year they were awful. The feed store I buy from always has a good price but only carries hamers. I found another place in bucks that has easyblaze but they are another 35$ a ton more.

PelletPirate: How many tons do you burn a year? I burn about 7 and 60 gallons of oil for a 3800 sq foot house. Only 2x4 walls built in 06.

Tonyray: Did you like the eazyblaze? I have burned hamer's for the past 5 years. 2 years ago they were not great and last year they were awful. The feed store I buy from always has a good price but only carries hamers. I found another place in bucks that has easyblaze but they are another 35$ a ton more.
my personal critique is they are about as close to douglas firs as u can get but 100.00 ton cheaper.
very clean/very very hot...
the Blaze are all i burn anymore as I have tried many many brands. Softwoods won me over. [I did spring for a ton of Douglas firs this year since i had some xtra bucks.
i DON'T exspect them to be nite and day better than the blaze but always wanted to try the top firs..[pricey].
[Hamers do not seem to be the great stuff it was in the past.. very gritty heavy ash now..

you might be talking about BUCKS PELLETS in Bucks County..
https://buckspellets.com/our-wood-pellets/

they have spring sales in which I bought the blaze around 30.00 cheaper..usually about April 15th for a few weeks. most places now are into winter sale prices.
spend the xtra for the blaze this year and I guarantee you will want to buy in the spring at cheaper price.
[skip Starbucks for couple days or wawa for a week;). that should cover it.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: t5eu9eb7
Tonyray thanks for the info. The hammer's last year was awful. I went from a full stove cleaning every 2 or 3 tons to every 1/4 or 1/2 ton.

Where did you get the easyblaze from? I see bucks pellets has them.

Tonyray thanks for the info. The hammer's last year was awful. I went from a full stove cleaning every 2 or 3 tons to every 1/4 or 1/2 ton.

Where did you get the easyblaze from? I see bucks pellets has them.
see post above this............

Sorry about that. You either edited that or I cant read. I tend to think is my lack of reading skill. Either way thank you for all the info.

Sorry about that. You either edited that or I cant read. I tend to think is my lack of reading skill. Either way thank you for all the info.
you are welcome..
i forgot to mention that the bags come with a small amount of powdery fines but they burn up in the burnpot.

Last edited:

I burn 7 tons a year. I use about 600 gallons of propane for supplemental heating, generator, dryer, cooking, etc.