Tonyray Posted By Tonyray, Nov 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM

1. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles
    last bag of last seasons Hamers just went into the hopper...
    ready to start with the EazyBlaze Super Premos..
    good prices for both .....249.00 ton.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Doc C

Doc C
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Bonner County Idaho
    I have never had a pellet stove. Is it cheaper than other forms of heating like gas or electric? How long does a ton of pellets last?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jackhammer

jackhammer
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2015
    Loc:
    western ma
    How were the Hamers? I can get them for $249/ton. They have been getting terrible reviews lately. They used to be great, I’ve never tried them.I can get Vermont’s for $299/ton. I like clean, hot pellets so I think the Vermont’s would be better.

4. JerseyJeff

JerseyJeff
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 10, 2018
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    There are a lot of variables.
    First, it depends what you can buy pellet for. Where I live, it is hard to get pellets under $270/ton but I’ve noticed from these forums they can go for less than that depending on where you live.
    For me, it is cheaper than electric and propane but a bit more expensive than oil currently.
    I have both a Harman PF100 furnace and an oil furnace for the original 3000 sqft of home and a Harman P43 to heat the addition. This winter I used 3.5 tons running the P43 all the time and using the PF100 for the last month. (I’m still working the bugs out of the furnace though)

5. Chris04614

Chris04614
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Monday
    Loc:
    Maine, USA
    Like Jersey Jeff said, there are a lot of variables. I have about 2000 square feet of home to heat (house is about 12 years old. 2x6 walls and has fiberglass insulation). First floor has radiant heat in the floors and the second is hot water baseboard. Water is heated with fuel oil. Keeping the house at 70F I was running through about 200+ gallons of oil a month during the late fall, winter and early spring season. I finally put in a pellet stove (49,000 BTU Piazetta Sabrina) about 4 years ago in the summer and started using it as my primary heat. I burn just under 2 tons of pellets a year and use about 350 gallons of heating oil over the entire year (my domestic hot water is heated off the same boiler that is used to heat the water for the radiant and baseboard).

Let's just say that the stove paid for itself by the end of the second winter.

I am gone during the day so I have it on a timer to come on at 4:30am and shut it off before work at 7am and then I run the stove at a mid level setting from 5pm until bedtime. I do have a few box fans to move the air around the house and on really cold nights the upstairs baseboard does come on around 2am, but I can certainly say from my experience that burning pellets has allowed me to keep the house much warmer when I'm home and has saved me a lot of $$$ so far.

6. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles
    we have a 61,000 Harman free standing pellet stove. P61A. Heating a 1600 sq old 1920's house.
    when the steady cold weather hits, we are on 24/7. heat makes its way to .2nd floor with 3 bedrooms/bath..keeps it around 67 upstairs.
    [could get it warmer but we would melt the walls downstairs with the Harman Beast!]

have oil fed hot water baseboard heat but haven't used it for past 4 yrs..same furnace is used for our domestic hot water... [summer/winter hookup they call it].
    use approx 3-3/half tons per season which starts around mid October here in the mid Atlantic area.

1 oil drop per year pretty much covers the hot water demand. only wife and I.

with oil we would keep the thermostat set to 67-68 and dress warm to conserve oil.
    with pellet stove we can keep it set at 74 degrees or so as we have a constant blowing of heat thruout the day.... have never felt consistantly warmer since we got the stove.
    using the oil furnace and thermostat set at 74 degrees, we would burn oil like a drunken sailor so best move we made was getting a pellet stove.
    btw: we burn xtra good softwoods which keeps the ash content much lower...not necessary but our choice..