Last Night's Lightning Photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Out of last night's 55 tries, I got these two. And I missed the best ones!
IMG_0833%20(800x450).jpg

IMG_0826%20(800x450).jpg

loon said:
cool pics! i have tried in the past but couldnt get a bolt pic...
They're elusive! A couple last night had bolts fanning out across the whole sky! But, one of them I had set the timer and it was one second away from opening the shutter. The other was when the camera was doing it's noise reduction/dark frame subtraction and the shutter wasn't open.....

we had a dandy roll through lastnite quads and i just kept snapping...

not a bolt but pretty neat pic,this was at 9.30 and would of been better if i wiped the dog slobber off the window first ;-P

(1000) of these :cheese:

DSC08126.jpg

and (1) of these...

DSC08127.jpg

Terry

loon said:
we had a dandy roll through lastnite quads and i just kept snapping...

not a bolt but pretty neat pic,this was at 9.30 and would of been better if i wiped the dog slobber off the window first ;-P

(1000) of these :cheese:

and (1) of these...

Terry
Ha ha! I get 1000 of those too! And I also have a lot of trouble with dog slobber on the windows! That really lit up the sky though, even through the slobber. I don't bother wiping the slobber off the window anymore, I just go right outside and stand in the lightning as the storm approaches. Call me crazy! :)

:)

i did go out the front door and filmed 5 min of it till my wife got ticked and hauled me in :cheese:

loon said:
:)

i did go out the front door and filmed 5 min of it till my wife got ticked and hauled me in :cheese:
Mrs. Quads encourages me to do it; pushes me out the door even during a lightning storm. Hmm, I wonder... HA HA!

took awhile to find this thread again quads ;-)

but this is round 2 tonite of a couple dandy's that are rolling through...

and this was 8.45 which i fluked out and got the lightning in 3 shots :p

imagine you will be getting this one at the house also zap :cheese:

loon

DSC09632.jpg

DSC09633.jpg

Nice pics showing the storm!

We are having storms roll through just south of us right now (a couple tornado warnings south of us). But none here. Not even any rain. I could hear the thunder from here and that's about it. We could use a little rain again. I was hoping to get more nighttime lightning photos tonight, but looks like it's clearing off. Although they say we might have northern lights tonight, and I have never been able to try to get a photo of those because it has been so many years since I've even seen them, so that would be ok too!

Here are a couple pics I snapped just moments ago:
IMG_1695%2520%25281024x683%2529.jpg

IMG_1725%2520%25281024x683%2529.jpg

Nice pic! I like cloud photos.

The lightning was far away last night, but I went out to where I could see that direction across one of the fields and did get lucky enough to capture one little bolt:
IMG_1735%20%281024x684%29.jpg

Quads....looks like you are a professional photographer....slammin photos...

GAMMA RAY said:
Quads....looks like you are a professional photographer....slammin photos...

The deer, the sunsets and the lightning . . . I was just going to post something about Quads missing his calling as a photographer. Great stuff as usual Quads . . . you've got the eye for photographs.

quads, that one picture makes the sky look pretty mean. I heard a little thunder during the night and we got some rain but haven't checked the rain gauge yet. I'm guessing less than a quarter of an inch. Sure has stirred up the skeeters!

My mom and dad were both avid hobby photographers back in the 50s and 60s (dad did a few weddings and won some ribbons at the local fair). I hated to even have my picture taken, still do. I have never even owned a film camera, picked up my first digital in 96 or 98, one of those Sony floppy disc cameras. I still have it around here somewhere. I really do enjoy it, but I don't do 'people' pictures like dad did. I've been asked to do a couple weddings but have turned them down. I'm much more at home in the woods and don't even go to weddings if I can get out of it, let alone photograph them!

Yup, have to use a tripod! Set your camera for as long as the shutter will go (or bulb), ISO 100-200, lowest f# it's got, and just keep snapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.