Last questions before I pull the trigger. I3100 or Kodiak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kjbreit

Jul 22, 2017
wisconsin
Hello,

Thank you for reading this for any suggestions.

I have an old masonry fireplace with a hearth pad of 18 inch of some sort of stone tile over a wood sub-floor. I was hoping to put in a enviro Kodiak (possibly Boston) or regency I3100. I have a depth issue to use other models. Our house is 3,000 sq feet 100 year old bungalow. This is not our primary source of heat but I hope it keeps us warm at least this fall while our furnace is off for plaster repair and lots of flying lead paint. I have a few last questions.

1- Any big preference of one model over the other? I am leaning toward the Enviro Kodiak, Install price 3,800. I3100 is 4,000 so not huge difference.
2- Do I need to worry about having wood sub floor under the tile, given this models protrude onto the hearth. Is a hearth pad sufficient? Would other models such as the venice or boston be better with the hearth shelf or does that just get super hot too? Likewise does the fan part under the I3100 get super hot?
The installers did not mention a concern but I am not sure that they paid much attention to the lack of R value on the floor. They seemed more concerned with the dimensions of the hearth pad itself.

I am not a huge fan of the flush models. I think they look too modern in our old house but will reconsider if that is the best answer. I looked also into PE but can only fit the super and the glass size is too small.

Any final thoughts before I pull the trigger would be great.

Best,
Kerry