Latest issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Long time since I posted. All has been good till my new issue. P35I Harman less than 2 years old and this has popped up. Harman not being to great about it says I have 10 years to see if it gets worse. My point to them is what is happening where I cant see? Thoughts..Am I worrying about nothing?

second.jpg

Question what are we looking at ?

Are you talking about that nick? It looks like it's inside the gasket that sets the seal on the door so it should be fine, right?

Question what are we looking at ?
Door open, top left edge..this is where the upper shelf behind door is held up.

Are you talking about that nick? It looks like it's inside the gasket that sets the seal on the door so it should be fine, right?
Not really a nick..it has gotten bigger over the last 2 weeks. Actually a crack in the steel.

Looks more like some impurity popped out of the steel than a crack, based on looking at the photo at least. Does the crack or what ever go all the way through the steel ? How much more has it increased ?

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
Looks like a casting flaw they filled in with some welding. It really doesn't look like a crack that will be expanding, especially since it is not a stress point. As long as it is inside the burn chamber (within the gasket when door is closed) you should be fine.

But like Alternativeheat says, inspect it closely, get a mirror to look inside the chamber and see if you have a larger crack inside.

Last edited:
The chunk that popped out has doubled in size. Tough to see behind, it is right where the upper shelf is. My question is ..if it is flawed there. Whats to say its not happening where I cant see? The stove is not even 2 years old. Harman feels I should just keep an eye on it for the next 8 years.

The chunk that popped out has doubled in size. Tough to see behind, it is right where the upper shelf is. My question is ..if it is flawed there. Whats to say its not happening where I cant see? The stove is not even 2 years old. Harman feels I should just keep an eye on it for the next 8 years.
Ok, bottom line. What is it that you would like Harman to do ? Do you want a new stove, a free inspection, sympathetic reply, repair etc ?

I used to do a fair amount of fabrication of steel structures, trailer frames, aluminum conversion kits on beverage trucks and trailers etc. Anyway welding. You can weld up a seem and grind that weld down flush to the metal, paint it and nobody would ever know that is a welded piece, it literally looks like one piece of metal. That is till a piece of weld pops out. It doesn't structurally affect anything in most cases but it reveals the seam line under the weld. If it's in an inside corner or outside for that matter, it can look like a crack. Now I'm not saying that is what happened but if it is, it's usually pretty isolated through out the structure..

That probably doesn't make you feel any better but I'm just conversing here.

Reactions: bags
An inspection would be nice. Someone who knows the stove and knows where to look for any other possible trouble spots.

An inspection would be nice. Someone who knows the stove and knows where to look for any other possible trouble spots.
That's reasonable, have you mentioned that to Harman or to your dealer ?

Harmans only response was to wait, I have a 10 year warranty. I took it one step further as per dealers request and now waiting for a call.

You aren't asking for too much. And they may very well do that before you're done..

Fingers crossed.

John,
I have a light issue like yours but different. On my P68's top hinge bracket that holds the fire door I have noticed a small defect where the bracket that extends out has a small gap and I can actually see the glow of the fire through there with my lights off at night. It is a fit issue where it was not completely tight before they welded it.

I've debated to mention something to my dealer but he is a little ways away and I'm not up for paying him to come and look at it. He may not even charge for it but I have not called him either. I know it could be taken care of easily with a little dab of weld. I think even some high heat silicone would do it. It has not affected my stoves performance so I often forget about it until I'd happen to see it every great once in awhile or until I saw your post.

I guess it might not hurt to at least call my dealer and let him know just for future reference.

Spoke with Harman and at their expense the Dealer is sending his guys out to pull the stove and go over everything on the stove. I'm good with that!

Reactions: alternativeheat
John,
I have a light issue like yours but different. On my P68's top hinge bracket that holds the fire door I have noticed a small defect where the bracket that extends out has a small gap and I can actually see the glow of the fire through there with my lights off at night. It is a fit issue where it was not completely tight before they welded it.

I've debated to mention something to my dealer but he is a little ways away and I'm not up for paying him to come and look at it. He may not even charge for it but I have not called him either. I know it could be taken care of easily with a little dab of weld. I think even some high heat silicone would do it. It has not affected my stoves performance so I often forget about it until I'd happen to see it every great once in awhile or until I saw your post.

I guess it might not hurt to at least call my dealer and let him know just for future reference.

Bags, Can never hurt. Try sending photos first. At least you are then on record.

Reactions: bags and Lake Girl
Spoke with Harman and at their expense the Dealer is sending his guys out to pull the stove and go over everything on the stove. I'm good with that!
Glad to hear the dealer is coming out. Same one who you dealt with on the Thelin?

Yes same dealer..They love me!!!

;lol;lol;lol Good Luck but at least you know they will deal with you from past experience.
Yes, they have been very good.

Reactions: bags