Latest Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
It's been a while since I have posted as life continues to be busy with work, family, & general busy-ness.
The local power company was trimming trees near power lines, next a friend's house.
He doesn't burn wood, and his neighbors are token wood burners...so I am getting a bunch of free wood.
The first picture is load #1. The next pictures are loads #1, #2 & #3 at the splitting pile.
The best part of this is I have an almost 16 year old and an 18 year old that like to split wood now. The 18 year old asked for his own axe for his birthday, "just like yours Dad.". So we got him a Fiskars...just like mine.
The funny part of the Fiskars is, he said, "he was splitting the wood and I keep splitting them in one shot. Even the knotty ones that look like they should be hard..."
So rough...🙃😅😂😂😂🙃
The wood is a mix. Pine, white oak, some hemlock of some kind, and what appears to be maple. Good times...

IMG_20230120_153734998_HDR.jpg IMG_20230127_144831523_HDR.jpg IMG_20230127_144852637_HDR.jpg

It's been a while since I have posted as life continues to be busy with work, family, & general busy-ness.
The local power company was trimming trees near power lines, next a friend's house.
He doesn't burn wood, and his neighbors are token wood burners...so I am getting a bunch of free wood.
The first picture is load #1. The next pictures are loads #1, #2 & #3 at the splitting pile.
The best part of this is I have an almost 16 year old and an 18 year old that like to split wood now. The 18 year old asked for his own axe for his birthday, "just like yours Dad.". So we got him a Fiskars...just like mine.
The funny part of the Fiskars is, he said, "he was splitting the wood and I keep splitting them in one shot. Even the knotty ones that look like they should be hard..."
So rough...🙃😅😂😂😂🙃
The wood is a mix. Pine, white oak, some hemlock of some kind, and what appears to be maple. Good times...

View attachment 308685 View attachment 308686 View attachment 308687
Glad to hear that some kids are still into working outdoors. Gathering kindling was always one of my favorite solitary activities as a child.

I have an almost 16 year old and an 18 year old that like to split wood now.

308713-0d28750003ee64c52a213788f52091b5.jpg
Nice score! Dontcha just love neighbors who don't need the wood? The closer the free wood is, the better I like it! 😏
Looks like your son prepped dinner as well; I see a hog's head lying there! 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: HisTreeNut