Laundry Area Fix up - Linen Cabinet/Storage suggestions? - See pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

The washer and dryer like most homes was just in the corner of the basement. I am finally getting a chance to fix it up a bit. As the years went by the washer and dryer don't even match up! See 1st pic.

So we just put in 2 walls and a door. Then moved the washer and dryer to the new wall. New wall is 2x6" with the metal lint vent and washer water and drain built in.

I sold the old dryer on CL with the control in the back and got the matching LG dryer with the controls in front so we could put in a nice folding counter on top. We used 2 metal pipes in the front center for super support. We can sit on it even. LOL

Now on the wall above is there anything for storing linens? Most cabinets and shelves are a max 12" deep. It seems like it might be better to have something 15 to 20 inches deep? Any suggestions on this?
The new window we put in still has to shed some light. :)

Click pic below to Enlarge and see slide show.

Attachments

• Laundry1.JPG
    Laundry1.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Laundry2.JPG
    Laundry2.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Laundry3.JPG
    Laundry3.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Laundry4.JPG
    Laundry4.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Laundry5.JPG
    Laundry5.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Laundry6.JPG
    Laundry6.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
if you can put up with 24 inch cabinets check out ikea's web site. look at the base cabinets. you could install with out putting on the legs and they're not to expensive. sink base would be good without the drawers.

Reactions: Beer Belly
i forgot to say that assembly required. but they are sturdy. did a few ikea kitchens i could stand on them. if you knew me that would be impressive

i forgot to say that assembly required. but they are sturdy. did a few ikea kitchens i could stand on them. if you knew me that would be impressive

Nice idea.
Thanks

Looks pretty nice Don.
What happens when the dryer vent clogs up?
Maybe run a sooteater through there.

Very easy to access from the outside. No problem.

Reactions: PapaDave
They make those white wire shelves in extra deep, I want to say 18". That is what I put in my laundry room. Good for air circulation in not completely dry things too.

Reactions: PapaDave
I think we have the same washer....high CR reviews and very cheap Cyber Monday deals.

We had a water hammer issue with ours....so I bought two water hammer arrestors....does yours bang the pipes?

Very nice "spiff up"! Good move on the drain, too.

A failed shut off/valve in the machine resulted in a flood in my house last fall. Sucked. Washing machine now resides in a pan with a dedicated drain, we replaced the failed valve on the machine ($30), the water lines, and the water shut off on the wall. I've never owned a dryer!

I think we have the same washer....high CR reviews and very cheap Cyber Monday deals.

We had a water hammer issue with ours....so I bought two water hammer arrestors....does yours bang the pipes?

Interesting - No, we do not have any pipe banging.

Very nice "spiff up"! Good move on the drain, too.

A failed shut off/valve in the machine resulted in a flood in my house last fall. Sucked. Washing machine now resides in a pan with a dedicated drain, we replaced the failed valve on the machine ($30), the water lines, and the water shut off on the wall. I've never owned a dryer!

I have heard of alot of washer flooding and we had a small leak once also.

As you can see in the pics, when we installed the toilet and sink I thought about a nice flooor drain!
See pics below

The molding around the room is composite wood that willl not rot if it gets wet. The door to the room is metal with an aluminum threshold. :)

Attachments

• FloorDrain1ya.JPG
    FloorDrain1ya.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 100
  • FloorDrain2ya.JPG
    FloorDrain2ya.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 104
Some of the wash machine valve sets include the smaller 4" tall or so hammer arrestors. We have a well with four expansion tanks and no check valves but those water valves slamming shut really make a hammer at the end of the line by the machine and surely the water hoses to the washer feel every bit of that hammer. The system pressure even bounces as water rushes back and forth through the plumbing in response to the shockwave. I own the whirlpool duet machines.

I would definitely install at least those standard hammer arrestors.

I like how your plugs and water valves are high enough to be accessible on top of the counter. I hate hate hate trying to lay on the top of a washer to reach back to shut off a valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.