Lawn tractor starter/solenoid help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
New solenoid. Not sure if the old one was bad or not. No key start.
-wire from battery + is to post on solenoid
-wire from starter is to other post on solenoid
-wire from battery - is grounded to frame

If I jump a connection between the solenoid posts the starter turns.
The old solenoid had a small post that a red wire from a safety switch was attached to. The new solenoid has 2 small posts. 1 under each large post.

There is a small electrical "item" attached to the body just above the solenoid. It has printed "8A 12v". It's @ 1/2" x 1/2" x 1" with 2 blades sticking out of it. One blade says "bat" and the other says "acc".

There is a black wire coming from the key switch with a blade connector. There's another wire that, I think, was on the battery and has a blade connector.

I jumped the safety switch and connected that red wire to 1 of the small solenoid posts, connected the wire from the key switch to the "acc" blade, and connected the "bat" blade to the battery +. When I put my tester on the red wire and turn the key to "start" the tester lights up. I connect the red wire to the solenoid the starter doesn't turn. I tried both posts.
What now ?

Help ?

Edit:
I got it figured out. I sanded off some paint where the solenoid mounts to the body. Good to go.
Now to clean the carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.