Lawnmower Lift and Pellet stove Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sandpipe

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2010
Massachusetts
I was going to pickup a lawnmower lift on craigslist awhile back but the deal fell through. At the time I theorized that I might be able to modify it to double as a pellet stove insert removal tool. Has anyone here tried this? I couldn't find anything wit a search. If it could be done it would be an added incentive to buy one at Harbor Freight or TSC.

I was going to pickup a lawnmower lift on craigslist awhile back but the deal fell through. At the time I theorized that I might be able to modify it to double as a pellet stove insert removal tool. Has anyone here tried this? I couldn't find anything wit a search. If it could be done it would be an added incentive to buy one at Harbor Freight or TSC.
I actually use one of harbor freights cheap transmission lifts to support the front of inserts if they need pulled out for cleaning. You just leave the back edge on the hearth extension a little bit. I am sure a lawn mower lift would work but they are fairly big and heavy

You might want to take a look at this thread.

Thanks for the 1)suggestion and the 2)reference to other threads. I've been using a small car lift and some wood planks inserted into the two side openings underneath my Harman Invincible and it works but doesn't exactly slide. It makes it easier to drag out. I thought that the lawnmower lift would work more efficiently because of the two parts where the tires sit correlating with the stove's bottom slots and the rubber wheels which would allow for the stove to roll.

Since I only pull it once or twice a year for cleaning (or in the middle of January if/when a motor dies), I don't think I need to build a steel frame. I like the suggestion in one of the above referred threads to use dowels. That might enable me to roll it instead of to drag it.