Lay Z Boy Chair Rocker Springs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
My favorite chair is a Lay Z boy standard recliner. It has several years on it. I had noticed that the chair had lost a lot of resistance to leaning back when vertical compared to newer chairs. Last week I felt something break and it turned out one of the rocker coil springs had snapped. I went on Ebay and picked up a new pair of rocker springs. They appear to be pretty standard so I just bought a pair that looked right. I swapped them out today. Wow what a difference, it feels like new. If you have one that still has good upholstery its worth the fix. I paid less than $30 for a pair delivered from Ebay.

Reactions: vinny11950
Its been scaled back for quite awhile. Its lifetime for parts one year for labor but trained technicians. The official parts are not sold retail so they make up the "free" parts with the cost of labor.

Its been scaled back for quite awhile. Its lifetime for parts one year for labor but trained technicians. The official parts are not sold retail so they make up the "free" parts with the cost of labor.
Nice work, PB. You had just gotten it broken in! Was it hard to get in there to switch them out?

I actually really like to hear about departures like this from our modern throw-away culture, which is highly encouraged by corporate America. I'm not knocking capitalism generally, just this particular part. The policy you described is common today, unfortunately.

The swap is not a 5 minute one, more like 45 minutes. The spring brackets are held in with 6 torx screws per set. When installed the springs have an initial tension on them so the holes dont line up until the two halves of the assembly are wedged apart about 1/2 of an inch. When taking the worn ones off, the screws tilt as they are unscrewed so the tension is released.With the new springs, I clamped half the bracket in a vise and used a couple of chisels to spring the halves apart and then cut a piece of scrap wood to fit the new gap. I then screwed them in place and then pulled the wedge. I bought new spring assembly's but am curious if I could have just swapped them side to side (if one of the coils wasnt snapped) as I expect only the rear spring is the one that gets all the load.

I usually get full use out of what little furniture I own. This is my primary chair and I don't have spouse to complain that its ugly. I do draw the line when the upholstery wears out. I think most furniture is gotten rid of for fashion reasons. My parents used to do their own re-upholstery, we were definitely on the low end of middle income so the way to go was fix it if at all possible.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
The swap is not a 5 minute one, more like 45 minutes. The spring brackets are held in with 6 torx screws per set. When installed the springs have an initial tension on them so the holes dont line up until the two halves of the assembly are wedged apart about 1/2 of an inch. When taking the worn ones off, the screws tilt as they are unscrewed so the tension is released.With the new springs, I clamped half the bracket in a vise and used a couple of chisels to spring the halves apart and then cut a piece of scrap wood to fit the new gap. I then screwed them in place and then pulled the wedge. I bought new spring assembly's but am curious if I could have just swapped them side to side (if one of the coils wasnt snapped) as I expect only the rear spring is the one that gets all the load.

I usually get full use out of what little furniture I own. This is my primary chair and I don't have spouse to complain that its ugly. I do draw the line when the upholstery wears out. I think most furniture is gotten rid of for fashion reasons. My parents used to do their own re-upholstery, we were definitely on the low end of middle income so the way to go was fix it if at all possible.
Wow, sounds like a big job.

Last two girlfriends have veto'd the lazboy, and I have a cat, so ones not in my immediate future.

I greatly prefer well worn in stuff, and even when I can afford it, tend to hang on for a long time. Even my house is old, built back in the 1700's. I tell people I'm not one to give up on something just because it shows a little experience.

Well done on that complicated fix.