Leaf Blower Method/Clean??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tractorboy924

Jul 7, 2008
Western NY
I have been looking to my issue of burn pot fill up and unburnt and learned I have not cleaned something properly so plan to do so again tonight....flame strong but pellets not burning 100% and pot fills up.

while lurking and reading about cleaning and maint someone said something about a leafblower technique..didnt explain it just said to try it...what is this?? blow the leafblower through the chimney to make sure no blockages?? can someone explain for me a little. Just curios Im not sure I want to blow a leave blower around the stove to clean out ash...wife will have me sleeping in the barn for sure!!!!!

I have been looking to my issue of burn pot fill up and unburnt and learned I have not cleaned something properly so plan to do so again tonight....flame strong but pellets not burning 100% and pot fills up.

while lurking and reading about cleaning and maint someone said something about a leafblower technique..didnt explain it just said to try it...what is this?? blow the leafblower through the chimney to make sure no blockages?? can someone explain for me a little. Just curios Im not sure I want to blow a leave blower around the stove to clean out ash...wife will have me sleeping in the barn for sure!!!!!
looks like I found some more explanation and tip to review more....

For future cleaning I would suggest getting a leaf blower to clean the exhaust track. If you Google pellet stove leaf blower there are a lot of videos that show what I am referring to.

Just be sure you do it outside and connect the " intake" of the blower to the pipe, otherwise you may be sleeping in the barn for sure

Hmm. Maybe i'll stick a blower up my wood stove pipe, before a sweep?

Here is mine. I have easy access to my outdoor vents so I remove the cap and the PVC reducers fits inside the 3" pipe. If I have a helper at the time I have them open and close the pellet stove door in 3 second intervals. I know some have said that closing the door at all while doing this can harm your vac switch, but I haven't had any issues with it. My leaf blower isn't an overly powerful one, it is just an extra one I had in the garage.

If you can't get to your outside vent I have seen people blow it out by contacting the leaf blower outlet to the T cleanout. They cut some thick Styrofoam to cover the door to their pellet stove. Then cut a hole in the styrofoam just big enough for their shop vac hose. They would turn on the shop vac while they were blowing out the T with the leaf blower.

IMG_5500.JPG

I'm always amazed at the amount of soot that forms a cloud from the leaf blower, even after a good stove cleaning. I use a gas powered blower vac on mine. For years it was an old cheap McCulloch that finally died last year and I now have an Echo blower/vac. I made an adaptor for mine that is a 4" to 3" rubber adapter that connects to the cleanout T outside. It then goes to a 4" PVC elbow and a length of PVC pipe which slips right in the vacuum attachment for the leaf blower.

Reactions: Washed-Up